APA format erroneously inserting initials in some citations – possibly corrupt document

I'm using the latest (7th) APA citation style in MS Word (16.33, 20011301) with Zotero 5.0.82, and a small number of citations are incorrectly formatted in several instances out of several hundred. I believe this was also occurring with the previous (6th edition) version of the style.

Citation should be:

(Alexander et al., 2012) and is actually inserted as (K. S. Alexander et al., 2012)

In this case, I've checked the Zotero entry, and there's a "normal" name field including the first author's first name and initial, and last name – there seems to be nothing erroneous about it. I can insert it in a new document and it's formatted correctly, but removing it and re-inserting it in my document once again formats it wrong. I've also tried re-inserting a fresh citation of the article in question in Zotero, with the same result.

This happens with all the erroneous citations. I've also tried copy-pasting my entire document into a fresh document, but this also doesn't fix it. What else can I try?