Google docs issue with et-al-min

I am working on a google doc and using Ecology Letters style citations. The bibliography will not cap authors (includes all authors but is supposed to be capped at 6 before using 'et al'), even though this code is included in the style editor code and it works when I use it in Microsoft Word. Any suggestions?

Bibliography code from style editor:

• edited January 30, 2020
    We can´t see your code unless you put it in code brackets (and if it is quite large we'd prefer PasteBin etc.):
    <code>asdf</code>

But generally this should work if you put it in the line starting with bibliography:
    et-al-min="7" et-al-use-first="1"
  • Thank you! This is already in the code:

<bibliography et-al-min="7" et-al-use-first="6" entry-spacing="0" hanging-indent="true">
    <sort>
    <key macro="author"/>
    <key macro="issued" sort="ascending"/>
    <key macro="title"/>
    </sort>
    <layout>
    <group suffix=".">
    <text macro="author" suffix="."/>
    <text macro="issued" prefix=" (" suffix="). "/>
    <group delimiter=". ">
    <text macro="title"/>
    <text macro="container"/>
    </group>
    <text macro="locators"/>
    <text macro="access" prefix=". "/>
    </group>
    </layout>
    </bibliography>

Do you think there is a reason this is not working in google docs?
  • It'd be really odd if this was related to google docs (but it's always _possible_). Could we see a full, affected citation as you get it in gdocs here? (Don't worry about italics & indenting)
  • Sure - this is in the google docs bibliography (but if I cite it directly in a MS word document and create a bibliography it cuts to 6 authors + et al):

Tucker, Marlee A., Katrin Böhning-gaese, William F. Fagan, John M. Fryxell, Bram Van Moorter, Susan C. Alberts, Abdullahi H. Ali, Andrew M. Allen, Nina Attias, Tal Avgar, Hattie Bartlam-brooks, Buuveibaatar Bayarbaatar, Jerrold L. Belant, Alessandra Bertassoni, Dean Beyer, Laura Bidner, Floris M. Van Beest, Stephen Blake, Niels Blaum, Chloe Bracis, Danielle Brown, P. J. Nico De Bruyn, Francesca Cagnacci, Duane Diefenbach, Iain Douglas-hamilton, Julian Fennessy, Claudia Fichtel, Wolfgang Fiedler, Christina Fischer, Ilya Fischhoff, Christen H. Fleming, Adam T. Ford, Susanne A. Fritz, Benedikt Gehr, Jacob R. Goheen, Eliezer Gurarie, Mark Hebblewhite, Marco Heurich, A. J. Mark Hewison, Christian Hof, Edward Hurme, Lynne A. Isbell, René Janssen, Florian Jeltsch, Petra Kaczensky, Adam Kane, Peter M. Kappeler, Matthew Kauffman, Roland Kays, Duncan Kimuyu, Flavia Koch, Bart Kranstauber, Scott Lapoint, Jenny Mattisson, Emilia Patricia Medici, Ugo Mellone, Evelyn Merrill, Thomas A. Morrison, Samuel L. Díaz-muñoz, Atle Mysterud, Dejid Nandintsetseg, Ran Nathan, Aidin Niamir, John Odden, Robert B. O. Hara, Luiz Gustavo R. Oliveira-santos, Kirk A. Olson, Bruce D. Patterson, Rogerio Cunha De Paula, Luca Pedrotti, Björn Reineking, and Martin Rimmler. 2018. “Moving in the Anthropocene: Global Reductions in Terrestrial Mammalian Movements.” Science 359:466–69.
  • Right, that's not Ecology Letters style at all. Could you double-check under Document Preferences in Google doc that you have the right style set?
  • Yes, its set to Ecology Letters style in google docs. When I do the same citation in word the bibliography comes out as:

Tucker, M.A., Böhning-gaese, K., Fagan, W.F., Fryxell, J.M., Moorter, B.V., Alberts, S.C., et al. (2018). Moving in the Anthropocene: Global reductions in terrestrial mammalian movements. Science, 359, 466–469.

I have several hundred citations in this paper so am really hoping not to have to re-enter all manually in word...! Thanks for your help
  • Do the other citations in the bibliography look right? E.g. year in parentheses, author initials, comma after journal name and before page name?

I'd make a copy of the document for troubleshooting and, in there, try switching to a different style and back. I'd expect that to take a good while -- make sure to not interrupt any Zotero-related processes while it's running
  • I tried switching between styles and the bibliography didn't change at all - so deleted/reinserted the bibliography and it seems to be working properly! Thank you and sorry I didn't try that before!