lost zotero data; still have citations on word

Hi there,

I'm wondering how to proceed... I restored my computer (after thinking that everything was backed up), and released that I hadn't made an account with Zotero, so my citations were only on my computer. However, I have all the citations I want (thank goodness) as footnotes (made by Zotero) on a word document. They still highlight as grey even though my computer is not currently running Zotero. I was wondering if there was a way to get them onto Zotero again. This time, I've made an account to insure this won't be repeated!

Please let me know.

Thank you so much in advance!
  • You can use the third-party Reference Extractor tool to get items back into Zotero, though they'll no longer be linked to those citations, so if you do that and continue citing in that document you'd want to choose from the "Cited" section of the results in the citation dialog rather than from your library.
  • Thank you! I just got it all in my Zotero app (phew!). For syncing, is that supposed to happen immediately? I logged into my account on the Zotero application on my computer, but I'm not seeing anything pop up on my online library. I tried the "restore to Zotero server" button, but it's still empty.

Did I miss a step I was supposed to take? I read through the previous threads about this issue and none of their issues are happening on my end (I don't believe).

Thank you in advance!
  • edited January 29, 2020
    It's not different from adding any other items to Zotero — it should sync automatically if set up properly. If that's not happening, see Changes Not Syncing. You don't need to (and shouldn't) use the sync reset options.