Automatically embed unAPI in zotero.org public libraries?

Hi all -

I'm just playing with the sharing facilities in zotero 2.0. I understand how, if I make a group that allows public membership, I can make it possible for others to become members of the group and thereby directly access any entries in the public group library from within zotero (either to copy them or directly cite them).

Which is great!

But ... what about sharing with people who either don't use zotero, or do use zotero but don't want to bother joining the group (e.g., they have not got around to creating a zotero.org account or they only want to copy one single reference and never expect to be back). If zotero.org was following its own advice, then presumably the page for a particular reference (see an example here) should include unAPI data that the user's copy of zotero (or any other compatible software) could directly harvest. For good measure the page could also offer more "traditional" export/harvesting options (bibtex, RIS etc.).

I know this is not quite a trivial request; but equally it doesn't seem like a huge amount of work - or am I missing the point here completely?

Thanks - Barry.
  • what about sharing with people who either don't use zotero, or do use zotero but don't want to bother joining the group
    For the latter, there's a Zotero translator that pulls custom-formatted lossless data from the Zotero API. Obviously this is less than ideal (and, yes, a little embarrassing), but it's currently the only way to losslessly round-trip Zotero data.

We're in the final stages of mapping the internal Zotero data model to the Bibliontology data model, at which point we'll serve BIBO-powered RDF that Zotero and any other client that implements BIBO will be able to handle.

I'm not sure it makes sense to output the legacy formats, which would be inherently lossy, but it's a valid point of discussion.
  • FYI, any Zotero client already can import items from a group library (or public personal library) page.
  • Sean writes: "any Zotero client already can import items from a group library (or public personal library) page" ... which sounds like exactly what I am asking, but I can't see how to do this, so I guess I am missing something.

So, just acting as an anonymous, drive by, web surfer (not logged into zotero, not a member of the group, but I do have zotero installed in my firefox) I navigate to my example page; now how do I capture a copy of that reference into my zotero "My Library"?

Thanks - Barry.
  • Click the journal article icon in the address bar, as you would on any Zotero-translatable page.
  • OK, Dan, Sean - thanks, I get it now (doh!). (I could try to explain why that wasn't the first thing I did ... but it would still sound silly!)