Cannot insert Citations into Google Docs in Chrome

I'm a new Zotero user, attempting to move on from Word 2010 where i have over 550 citations. I've installed Zotero and the Chrome Connector (Chrome Version 79.0.3945.130 (Official Build) (64-bit)). I have manually added some reference documents (books and academic papers) to my Zotero library. However i don't seem to be able to add references to the text in google docs. I do have Zotero and Z showing on the menu bar in google docs, but it wont add references (vancover superscript) what ever i do.
the only thing it does is to add the message 'Zotero is updating your document, please wait...' in google docs. I know my document is long - over 200 pages, but can anyone suggest what i should do next to get it working? Many thanks.
  • It's possible the citation dialog is behind your browser window. The citation dialog is part of the Zotero application, so check its windows to see if it's there.
  • No, no sign of any Zotero dialogues. Zotero is open at the citations list but nothing else.
  • Restart your browser and Zotero, or restart your computer, and try again.
  • I restarted Windows 10 and google docts and then attempted to enter a citation in my text. It then asked me to open Zotero which i did. However it has now frozen gain with the message 'Zotero is updating your document, please wait...' on the google docs screen. I left it like that for an hour, but no sign of it finishing.
  • Can you restart Zotero and your browser and provide a Debug ID from Zotero for attempting to insert a citation?
  • Both restarted. the place i entered a reference into the google docs text now has 'updating' next to it. If i click this, it asks me to 'edit with Zotero'. I clicked that and it then give me the error 'Selected field dSOX0C not returned from Docs backend'.
    also the Debug ID is D1132594537
    many thanks for your help so far,
  • (3)(+0000011): Integration: Displaying dialog chrome://zotero/content/integration/integrationDocPrefs.xul
    That shows the document preferences window being displayed, and there's no error suggesting that didn't happen. You should check again for the preferences window — which, again is part of Zotero, not the browser — behind the Zotero window.
  • Many thanks for your help. Its all working now. I did have problems with the preferences window continually opening itself, so that must have been the cause.
    I have now been able to enter my first 11 citations in google docs text and references in Zotero. I've also been able to build my first bibliography. So very happy, and again many thanks,