Zotero Connector for Chrome not working

Hi,

I have a pretty big collection of articles all organized in collections. As I crossed the file storage limit, I searched for options and found that it was pretty straightforward to do it with Googledrive using Zotfile (I hadn't used that option).
I followed Tom's instructions for shifting Zotero Files to Google drive. (https://tomsaunders.co.nz/zotero-with-google-drive/), and successfully migrated all my Zotero files to Google drive.
(Did not touch the data directory)

After this, Zotero Connector has stopped working.

It is not showing the Collections when saving.
The files showing in the connector as saved - are not being saved in Zotero Connector. I wanted to check if this was a problem with connection between Connector and Standalone, so I gave the Zotero connector permission to save to Zotero.org directly but it is still not working.
I removed and reinstalled and still not working.
Please help, I really like Zotero.

Debug ID - D235873216
  • The Debug ID is D235873216
  • It'd be surprising if that was actually connected to changing the folder setup. Could you run through these in full? https://www.zotero.org/support/troubleshooting_translator_issues
  • Thanks for responding.

1. I actually read and checked that twice earlier. That is what made me remove and reinstall the connector
    - I am using Latest Zotero 5.0.82
    - I reinstalled the Connector Plug in today
    - I open the Standalone and then save
    - It is not a translator issue, coz it is happening on all sites, including Amazon

2. I am not sure if the folder change set up caused it, but that was the only major change I did today (for hours) and so I thought to bring it up.

What is surprising is that the Connector behaves exactly like it is supposed to. That is, the pop-up opens (but showing 'My library' in the chosen folder, and not the folder I have open in Standalone), the pop-up window stays open till the connector *seemingly* is reading and downloading metadata, the file attachment also looks like it is downloaded, and then it closes.

But there is no file downloaded in my Zotero. I have done this 100s of times and on this same machine, so I don't think it is a machine issue.

I find it surprising, also double checked if someone else's Zotero was logged in and saving. (It wasn't of course, it's just me who uses Zotero here)

Please guide me what else I can do.

Meanwhile, I am following Step 14 of that and sending you another report
  • I'm not quite sure I understand this still. Do you see nothing at all in Zotero or do you just not get an attached file after importing?

How have you searched? Generally, If Zotero displays a pop-up, it's almost certain something is getting saved.
  • edited January 29, 2020
    Hi,

Following Step 14 as recommended:

URL of page - https://indianpediatrics.net/sep2019/sep-773-788.htm

Debug ID - D1630859719

The Pop up says - Saving to My Library

I don't know what translator is being used.

But here's what is new:

The Report Errors tab in the Advanced connectors is showing this (I can't figure out what this means at all)

[unrelated errors removed — D.S.]
  • (none of those error messages are relevant, but do see my question above)
  • Ok.

I did search.
    I looked at Unfiled items, I looked at My Library and sorted items by last saved.
    It's not saving. I tried on multiple items, you know, so it really is not saving.

:(

Thanks for staying with me.
    If you feel it might help, please suggest something start to end that can help me track down what happened.

Just today I was so happy that I managed to find a way out of storage limit and uploaded so many files.
  • Zotero server logs show a bunch of items being created in your online library as of less than two hours ago.

If you really can't find the items, can you provide a Debug ID from Zotero (not the connector) for a save?
  • Hi,
    I Restarted with Logging enabled, Went to Chrome and saved a file, and then send you the report.

D2086697259
  • And I did it again, just to see that there is no problem in Standalone when doing other actions.

In this case, I saved the article from Connector, it didn't save.

Then I dragged the physical file from downloads to Zotero, and it worked like it is supposed to.

Debug Id - D1472609756
  • OK, can you provide a Debug ID from the Zotero Connector for loading a page and clicking the save button, and let us know exactly what it says in the save popup?
  • ok.

New Debug id - D2109243135

Thanks to both of you for trying to help.
  • edited January 29, 2020
    (3)(+0000002): HTTP POST http://127.0.0.1:23119/connector/saveItems

(3)(+0000003): progressWindowIframe.updateProgress message received in injected page chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc/progressWindow/progressWindow.html

(3)(+0000008): progressWindowIframe.resized message received in injected page https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/[…]

(3)(+0000264): Connector: Method saveItems succeeded

(3)(+0000002): Translate: Save via Zotero succeeded
    That shows a successful save to the local Zotero.

Is this a multi-user computer? Is it possible that Zotero is open in another user account? The Zotero Connector will save to the first Zotero instance open on the machine, even if it's in another user account.
  • Yes, It is a multi-user computer!
    That fixed it!!!

Oh, I had forgotten that I was teaching Zotero to a friend on another log in. It has all the articles I was trying to save.... so many articles on strawberries, something that has nothing to do with educational research. :D
    Oh dear!!

Thanks so much guys!! Hugs and love from India!! You figured it out!