RIS export with Reference ID

Hi all,

is there a way to force Zotero to include a Reference ID tag when exporting the RIS format? I searched the forum but couldn't find anything obvious.

Thanks!
  • What exactly do you mean by "Reference ID"?
  • edited January 27, 2020
    The "ID" tag in the RIS format. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIS_(file_format) (the link doesn't seem to parse on the forum; please manually copy and paste)
  • Since this is usually an arbitrary ID within a database, the RIS translator explicitely ignores this field, see https://github.com/zotero/translators/blob/b80ec528f6ac8c17523354b91893e3772d7ff715/RIS.js#L412 . Either change this line in your local RIS translator, or, maybe easier, move the information from the ID fields to another field in your RIS file before importing it into Zotero.
  • I think the question is about including a Reference ID from Zotero when exporting, not importing a Reference ID from elsewhere.

@NYU_CSB, could you explain what you're actually trying to accomplish? What exactly do you want included, and why?
  • @dstillman

Of course: I was importing the Zotero RIS export into DistillerSR (meta-review software), which creates IDs based on the ID tag. If they don't exist, the workaround is simply a running list of numbers. However, it would be better to keep the Zotero list if we want to import eg the PDFs later, because that is linked via the ID. Does that make sense?

Thank you!

@zuphilip very helpful - I can see how a solution might be implemented.
  • @dstillman the CSL JSON and TEI translators already pick up an item key if it's in extra as a line in the form

Citation Key: [something]

(in addition to the BibTeX and BibLaTeX translators). Maybe that could help here too? You'd still have to add these manually but then at least it becomes possible.
  • @emilianoeheyns I don't think I'm quite following. What's the TEI translator? Please let me know if you have any pointers.
  • It's an export format, one of the many you can choose when you export items, but I didn't mean that it could be useful to you, just that there's precedent in using "Citation Key:" from the extra field.
  • If I export the RIS with the files, Zotero creates a folder structure with 5-digit folders that contain the PDF. Is this the internal Zotero ID? If yes, can it be part of the RIS file as well?