New Pubmed Interface 1/22/2020 - Zotero not working!!

Pubmed url has changed today. Zotero is not picking up Author Name and other pertinent information any more. Just picking up as a web page. So I can't cite properly! Can someone please let me know how to resolve this quickly ... have a grant due Friday :-(
  • Should be working fine, and is for me. See Troubleshooting Translator Errors.
  • Unfortunately it is not working for me. I do see that Pubmed looks different today compared to yesterday. For e.g.,
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=19333444
    yesterday showed a different Zotero icon on my Chrome toolbar yesetrday. Today it is showing a different icon "Save to Zotero (Webpage with Snapshot) and for the above PMID it does not capture the Author & other details. That paper is just getting saved as a Webpage rather than a Journal Article inside Zotero.
    Any advice on how to fix this? Thanks.
  • Yes, as I said, you need to follow the Troubleshooting Translator Errors steps.
  • In the Troubleshooting, I have looked through all the steps -
    6. I have Zotero extension ver 5.0.61
    8. I have Zotero ver 5.0.82
    10. unable to understand what Step 10 is asking me to do ? When I hover cursor it says "Save to Zotero (Webpage with Snapshot)". So, how do I fix this Translator issue?
    13. tried my best to complete this step to Update & Reset Translator.

Submitted Error Report ID: 1103321135

Can you kindly assist with this? Thanks
  • edited January 23, 2020
    The new PubMed user interface intermittently behaves quite strangely.

I haven't paid close attention to exactly how Zotero imports metadata from PubMed. If Zotero is capturing the PubMed ID (pmid) and calling the PubMed API for an XML record (as I have been trying for the past week); this, for me, fails to import all authors, imports pii data to the pagination fields, and occasionally other curious letters in the journal volume field. Luckily, I'm still able to access the old interface. However, the support line states that the old UI will be eliminated soon.

I normally don't use Zotero to collect records from PubMed but select PubMed records, save the records to an XML file and import the XML to my SafetyLit database using a custom parser. If I use the old UI and export my records in XML format the metadata is complete. I cannot do that with the new PubMed UI.

The new PubMed system allows exports to a file containing PMID numbers. When I use the Zotero magic wand, many of the PMID records imported to Zotero contain only one author name (while the PubMed screen displays more than one author for that record). My testing showed similar missing metadata when I view a PubMed record and click on the import-to-Zotero "button". The new system no longer allows me to save results as an XML file. The new system allows exports to an RIS format file. The RIS file is well-formed and contains all author names and the other metadata is correct. Does Zotero import PMID and PMCID numbers from an RIS format file? If so, there a way to include the PMID in a Zotero MODS export?

Aside:
    The new UI uses a search system that greatly expands term mapping. [One example, one of my textword search terms is "aggression" (as in violence) the new system maps "aggression" to also search for the textword, "aggressive" (as in aggressive tumor / cancer spread in the body).] Today my standard search string in the old interface resulted in 643 records that were added to PubMed in the 24 hour interval I selected. The same search in the new UI produced 1258 records added during the same interval. My regular search is very sensitive and only 12% to 15% of the records it identifies are useful to me from the old system. When I compared the new results from the new UI with the results from the old system I didn't identify any additional useful records with the new system.
  • @shoba.sharma.VM: You haven't followed the last step. That's the most important one if you're still having trouble (but please do make sure you've tried everything else).
  • @DWL-SDCA please start a separate thread -- the questions&issues you're seeing/having are different from the OPs, for whom import doesn't work at all.