Citation styles not updating on Scanned odt file in LibreOffice

edited January 22, 2020
I've run into some issues when scanning an .odt document that I created from the documents I compiled in Scrivener. I get the .odt with the Citation Markers in the document. All well and good.

I then run the otf scan on LibreOffice, with my style set to CMS full-note. Then it seems that the scan only works part of the way. When the scan completes, the document marked "(citations)" only produces the author-date citation in the footnotes and it the body of the text. The scan also fails to load any of the information I added in the citation markers, such as page number, additional notes, or commands to suppress the author/date label.

Then comes the kicker.

When I open the scanned document marked "(citations)" and try to change the style to CMS full-note so that the entire note citation appears in the footnote, the scan breaks down, the citation markers vanish and are replaced with {Citation}, and I get the following dialogue box from LibreOffice: "The highlighted citation no longer exists in your Zotero database. Do you want to select a substitute item?"

And then I proceed to smack my head on the desk as I did the last time I encountered this.

Any thoughts?

Best,

Richard

Zotero v5.0.82;
LibreOffice and Word integrations installed;
ODF/ Scan for Zotero Add-on installed.
  • I then run the otf scan on LibreOffice, with my style set to CMS full-note. Then it seems that the scan only works part of the way. When the scan completes, the document marked "(citations)" only produces the author-date citation in the footnotes and it the body of the text. The scan also fails to load any of the information I added in the citation markers, such as page number, additional notes, or commands to suppress the author/date label.
    So far, this is completely normal. The scan just puts placeholders into the document; they're not supposed to be complete citations (i.e. prefix/suffix/locator aren't visible at this stage) nor is there actually any way to specify a style during the scan.
    When I open the scanned document marked "(citations)" and try to change the style to CMS full-note so that the entire note citation appears in the footnote, the scan breaks down, the citation markers vanish and are replaced with {Citation}, and I get the following dialogue box from LibreOffice: "The highlighted citation no longer exists in your Zotero database. Do you want to select a substitute item?"
    While this could be a bug, we've never heard this before, so the most likely explanation is exactly what it says: items cited in the document aren't in your Zotero library. This could be because you deleted them (or one copy of a duplicate) or because you created the scannable cite markers on a different, not fully synced, computer. (It's important to understand here that the same item, with the same internal ID needs to be in Zotero; the same reference

First thing to test would be a very simple workflow with a test document with just a couple of citation. Run through the steps you describe above. Does that work?

• Hi Adam. Thanks so much for your reply. I synced my library and ran a test with the very simple workflow that you suggested. That seemed to have worked.

I was wondering whether I can run inline citations and full footnotes in CMS in the same document. The document that I was scanning has citations in both the body and the footnotes. Does that matter as far as running an ODF scan goes?
  • OK, great. And how about setting the citation style in the full document? Does that still fail as before?

CMS full note doesn't have an in-line citation style, so any citation you inserted will be converted to a footnote. That's also in line with the Manual's prescriptions.