Deleting all traces of zotero from a document to stop it crashing when I insert a new citation

Libre Office crashes when I try to insert a citation using zotero. I think this is because the file has been converted to a doc.x file and then back to open office odt. I need to use this file because I need to track changes as a submission requirement. However, when I try to insert a citation it crashes. I have tried unlinking the citations and this makes no difference. Is there a way of deleting zotero's trace, so that it looks like a fresh document to the zotero software and I can insert the citations from scratch? Zotero works fine in other libre office documents on my computer.
  • This is the error message:
    You have modified this citation since Zotero generated it. Do you want to keep your modifications and prevent future updates?

Clicking "Yes" will prevent Zotero from updating this citation if you add additional citations, switch styles, or modify the item to which it refers. Clicking "No" will erase your changes.

Original: 2
    Modified: ,
  • The message you are getting is indicative of potentially big corruption. You should make sure in the Zotero document preferences that the citations are stored as ReferenceMarks, which might fix most of the big issues. Afterwards if you still want to remove the citation links and Unlink Citations does not work you can save the document as .doc, which will remove ReferenceMarks because .doc format does not support them