Sync Error 1552496671

Hello all together, currently I experience two problems:
1) Zotero recognized correctly contributions in books - but it does not list several publisher in a list, instead it adds all publishers in the prename of the first one. Therefore sync does not work, here is the message transferred: Der Name des Urhebers "Breazeal, Breazeal, Brooks, Clark, Clark, Damasio,…" in einem Ihrer Einträge ist zu lang für die Synchronisierung. Bitte den Namen kürzen und erneut synchronisieren.
Wenn Sie diese Nachricht wiederholt für von einer bestimmten Seite gespeicherte Einträge erhalten, können sie den Fall im Zotero Forum melden."
2) Due to my storage limitation one of my group librarys did not sync anymore. Now I upgraded the storage but the group library does not sync anyway… can you help me? The name of the group library is: "TA SWISS Literaturrecherche APS"
  • t does not list several publisher in a list, instead it adds all publishers in the prename of the first one. Therefore sync does not work
    This depends on where you're saving from — sometimes sites provide data incorrectly or there's a problem with Zotero's import code. Where exactly are you saving from where this is happening?

For existing entries, you'll need to fix them manually.
    Due to my storage limitation one of my group librarys did not sync anymore. Now I upgraded the storage but the group library does not sync anyway… can you help me?
    In what way isn't it syncing?
  • Thanks for your answer. the incorrect listing all publishers in one line occured for instance with a contribution from the journal "International Journal of Social Robotics", "The Role of Functional Affordances in Socializing Robots", authors: Iman Awaad, Gerhard K. Kraetzschmar & Joachim Hertzberg. In the following you can see all the publishers who are listed in one prename of "publisher" in my zotero: Arkin, Awaad, Awaad, Awaad, Beetz, Bradshaw, Delaitre, Diankov, Erol, Field, Fitzpatrick, Fritz, Gibson, Graf, Gardenfors, Gardenfors, Hartanto, Hartson, Hermans, Holt, Hubel, Hutchins, Holler, Ilghami, Janowicz, Koppula, Kraft, Levihn, Mason, McKean, Meneguzzi, Moldovan, Nelson, Norman, Pandey, Patel, Peter Bonasso, Poggi, Quigley, Raubal, Raubal, Reno, Ridge, Roberts, Rockel, Ros, Russell, Sapir, Schneider, Severi, Shpieva, Sirin, Stark, Steedman, Sun, Tenorth, Ugur, Ugur, Varadarajan, Zhang..., for me it seems as if zotero is transferring wrong metadata…?

For my second problem, would it be possible for you to check my current storage? That is because I bought an upgrade from 2 GB to 6 GB, but the receipt is not shown under "view payment receipt". Can it be, that my storage is still limited to 2 GB? That would explain, why no data are transferred from my desktop zotero version into the library I can see in the cloud...
  • Can you give the URL for the exact webpage at the International Journal of Social Robotics where you imported the item from?

Does the item data (title, author, date, etc.; not the files) sync or no? If not, then that wouldn't have anything to do with the storage space. See https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/changes_not_syncing
  • here is the whole URL: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12369-015-0281-3
    Unfortunately, I got the same mistake from different scientific journals - manually correcting all items costs me a lot of time... the item data are not synced to the cloud.

For my second problem: the group library "TA SWISS Literaturrecherche APS" in the cloud does not contain my desktop library (this one is newer and contains more items)
  • That imports correctly for me. How exactly are you importing from that page to your Zotero library?
  • I tried to specify the problem. The problems occurs often, when Zotero detects a Journal and then imports a lot of names from the editorial board into the field "publisher, prename". Then a failure in the sync process occurs because of too many names in this field - following the sync process stops.

Here an example: Bateson, Borenstein, Brooks, Choquette, Christensen, Dourish, Gardner, Gee, Hsu, Jepsen, Jovanov, Jovanov, Lewin, Lund, Majgaard, Majgaard, Majgaard, Majgaard, Majgaard, Majgaard, Majgaard, Melgar, Nielsen, Papert, Pfeifer, Piper, Rogers, Schon, Sharp, Villaroman, Wenger - all these names were imported from "Majgaard, G. (2014). Teaching design of emerging embodied technologies. Human-computer interfaces and interactivity: Emergent research and applications., Akker, J. V. d., Gravemeijer, K., McKenney, S., Nieveen, N. (2006). Educational Design Research. Routledge., 188–206. https://doi.org/10.4018/978-1-4666-6228-5.ch011".

In my library I now have around 10'000 references - and I already corrected about 2000 references… but I could not fix all wrong references until now. Would it be possible to delete the field "publisher" only in the "Eintragsart" Journals? That would help me a lot… Or do you see another solution? Kind regards, Hartmut
  • The question is how exactly you're saving. Literally, when you go to the Springer URL you provided above, how do you get that data into Zotero? Because when we try it now using the Zotero Connector's Save to Zotero button — the standard way of saving to Zotero — this isn't happening. It almost certainly wouldn't for you either.

Forget about the sync part for the moment. All that matters for the moment is, when you save using the Zotero save button from a given URL, do you get this sort of invalid data in the field?

If you have this problem of too-long data in a field for thousands of items, this data almost certainly came from somewhere unusual — e.g., an export from somewhere — because this just isn't a common problem in Zotero when using the Save to Zotero buton. It's a problem that can happen, rarely, on individual sites, and that we can fix easily when it's reported. So that's why we're asking about the exact source of this data.
  • Thanks for your comment. Mainly I download the pdf files and put them into zotero. Mainly I integrate the pdfs via drag and drop in a row of up to 10 or so pdfs. It it helps, I can send you some of the pdfs... (My main problem is, that Zotero first tries to sync my private librara - if it stops, then my group library does not sync. That is kind of a pity, cause my teammates are wating for the data...). Yours, Hartmut
  • It should continue syncing other libraries even if there's a problem with one, but you can always right-click on a library and choose Sync to sync just that library.

If you can reproduce the incorrect import when adding a given PDF file directly, let us know exactly where we can find the file and we can have a look. If the file wouldn't be publicly available through a U.S. university proxy, you can email it to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread. But one way or another, we need a way to reproduce this in order to fix it.

Note that while downloading batches of PDF files, adding them to Zotero, and relying on PDF metadata retrieval should work, and shouldn't result in this sort of problem, it's not the normal, recommended way to use Zotero, which is to use the Zotero Connector's Save to Zotero button from article pages. See Adding Items to Zotero.