Larger "drop area" for drag&drop'ing items into library

Frequently, I have to drop a PDF from my file manager into Zotero.

However, since my library is full of files, I have to be veeery careful to not accidentially drop the PDF file into an already existing item.

It would be nice if there, while drag&drop is in progress, a larger drop area was present on the screen. It could be in the corner or somewhere else unobtrusive, but the idea is just to make it easier to reliably drag & drop files into Zotero.

I know Javascript and I'd really like to help implement this feature, if someone on the dev team would take the time to answer questions and such :)

Best regards,
H
  • You can just drag to My Library in the left-hand pane.
  • Thanks, that works better. But it would really be nice if I can create a "big" area to drop on. Fitts's law and all that.

Would it be possible with a plug-in?
  • Sure — pretty much anything's possible with a plugin.

But the real fixes here will be 1) to allow files to be opened via Zotero to add them (#1169) and 2) to allow dragging files onto the dock/launcher icon (#354).
  • Those two cases would be wonderful too! Is there something I can do to help out? :)
  • Hey Guys, +1 for this. And also for a feature to drag and drop onto the Mac OSX dock Icon (these possibilities seem related).

Any news on this?