Allow PatchMyPC to update Zotero by publishing up to date file versions

'The binary for the application doesn't provide a valid file version we can use to perform detection's. See below for example this is for the version 5.0.83, but you can see they don't update the binaries properly'

https://ideas.patchmypc.com/ideas/PATCHMYPC-I-382?utm_source=idea_mailer&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=subscribers_status_change

• It’s not clear to me why you would want an external service to download and install updates for you here. Zotero already includes an automatic updater.
  • In any case, we have a ticket for this, though I'm not sure when we'll get to it.
  • But is there any reason for Zotero not to do this? Seems most other apps do specify their version numbers in their metadata, including Firefox.
  • No, it's just a fluke of how Zotero is built — we use a modified version of the Firefox executable that's only updated periodically rather than on every build. I just added a link to the GitHub issue to a command-line tool we might be able to use to modify the .exe dynamically.