Reference list updating but citations do not?

Hi I am currently helping a student with an odd problem.

She has work that was published which needed citations in numbers with square brackets (eg, [22] ) and a particular reference style. She is now trying to put the document into her thesis, but the University requires author-date style citations.

However, when we change the document preferences, the reference list changes format but the citations do not (ie they remain as [22]). Its really odd and I've never come across this behaviour before. It happens consistently, regardless of what reference/citation style is changed to.

If I click on a citation and select 'edit citation', the picker pops up showing the correct papers as expected, so communication with Zotero is fine, it just doesn't get updated with the ref list at the end of the document when refreshed.

I suspect an issue with the document its-self since this happens on her windows 10 machine and also my Mac. Any suggestions short of re-instering all of the citations would be welcome.

Thanks
  • Assuming the conversion works when testing in a new document — which it certainly should — she should try the Debugging Broken Documents steps in the old document to figure out why it's not working there.
  • Hi thanks for the link - I hadn't seen that document. I think something has gone wrong with the field codes somehow. When I click on a citation and click edit, I get a dialogue saying the citation has been modified -- although the original and modified versions shown in the dialogue box is identical, and this happens for all citations in the document.

I have tried some of the suggestions in the linked document which didn't help. BUT I find if I edit the the citation, select 'suppress author' and click enter it then updates, and I can then edit again and unblock 'suppress author' and the citation shows as it should. Slow, but working

Thanks again