Lost Zotero Word Add-on

I am unable to see Zotero add-on in my word (MS) as of today.

The add-on was working till 2 weeks ago. I have been using both my word (MS, Office365) and Zotero everyday otherwise without any issues. I have reinstalled Zotero x2. I have "repaired" (full) Office365x2. The "Add-ons Manager" shows word for windows integration (that is shows "disable" box only.) On Word, under Options/Add-ins, I do see Zotero.dotm as a Template type.

Any ideas what I am missing? Thanks very much.
  • Thanks... will try them meticulously today.
  • I have tried your suggested options. Thank you, again.

I finally went to the Manual Insert option. I do find that Zotero.dotm is present under "word options" > "Add-ins" I have restarted the pc and Word. I am still not able to see the Zotero add-in. Kindly help. I can send screen shots, if that would help.

For now, I am using Word's "insert footnote" option. It works, but Zotero's functionality, which I have used in all my publications up to Dec 2019, is much better.

Saty.
  • Yes, you can upload screenshots somewhere (e.g., Dropbox) and provide a link here.
  • I am hoping that this link (below) helps. It is just a cropped screen shot. I am trying to show you that I have taken the appropriate steps, both in Word and Zotero, But do let me know if I have overlooked anything.

https://1drv.ms/w/s!AqxVfwA8v_nDjKF1cY7Zsu_IF1xEbw?e=dSjN1r
  • Zotero.dotm is situated in the Roaming > Zotero folder
    That's not remotely the right location, and the fact that it's showing up in Word suggests that you did something else not recommended to add that file manually to Word. A correct "manual installation" simply involves placing it in Word's startup folder, at which point it will be loaded automatically.

You should remove that file, make sure it's gone from Word, and then follow the manual installation instructions.

https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_manual_installation
  • edited January 6, 2020
    On my Word Options, Active Application Add-ins,
    my Zotero.dotm is located in c:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero\extensions\ZoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org\install\zotero.dotm

Back in Zotero, I am now unable to install Word Add-in. The message I receive (after Word is closed) is:
    "Installation could not be completed because an error occurred. Please ensure that Microsoft Word is closed, and then restart Zotero."

Thanks again for your patience.
  • edited January 6, 2020
    On my Word Options, Active Application Add-ins,
    my Zotero.dotm is located in c:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero\extensions\ZoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org\install\zotero.dotm
    That's also not correct, and means you manually added the file at that location as a template in the Word interface. That's not the right thing to do, for any location, and no Zotero instructions say to do so.

You need to follow the manual installation instructions I linked to. If there's a part you don't understand, tell us what it is, but so far it does not sound like you've followed the instructions we provide there.
  • edited January 6, 2020
    <part you don't understand, tell us what it is>

Yes, I am afraid I have a few that I don't understand. Let me ask you for clarification, one step at a time, please. I am following your instructions to open Word>StartUp. Then this is what I find:

On my Word>options>Advanced>General>File Location, I do find "startup" by clicking on File Locations." The "StartUp" is not a folder (that is, it is not the yellow folder icon.). It is just straight text, and it shows <c:\...inWordintegration@xotero.org>

Is the above correct?
  • edited January 6, 2020
    (If you use angled brackets here the text inside won't show up. I've adjusted your post so that they show.)
    The "StartUp" is not a folder (that is, it is not the yellow folder icon.). It is just straight text, and it shows <c:\...inWordintegration@xotero.org>
    This sounds like you've actually changed Word settings to have the zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org\install folder inside the Zotero application directory be the Word startup folder. You definitely don't want to do that, so you should reset that and let it use its default location.
  • I hear you. This one step at a time might work for me.

This is what I see now under Word File Locations, "Startup" shows:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero\extensions\zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org\install

Is this alright then? If not, what should it be? I can manually key it in, may be?
  • No, it's not right. You need to reset the Startup folder location in Word. There should be a Reset button in that dialog (or something similar, depending on your exact version of Word) that you can use to reset that to the default.
  • I have RESOLVED the issue. Thanks for your advice all along.

A colleague of mine who uses a set-up almost like mine, and I, made side-by-side comparisons earlier today. As a result, I placed my file in Word StartUp as

C:\Users\SatyM\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP

It has been working robustly and flawlessly all day so far. As it has been, indeed, all these years for me. Just puzzled as to what misfired in 2 weeks ago.

I appreciate your willingness to stay on this issue with me.

Saty.