Right click not working in zotero

Usually when I highlight a group of pdfs and right click them, I get a bunch of options that are basic to the functionality of zotero. For the last two days, zotero doesn't seem to recognize a right click at all, and the program is more sluggish than it has been, taking longer to load items. I am using Windows 7.
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling Zotero seems to have fixed it.
  • It's happening again. I uninstalled and reinstalled zotero, and it fixed it temporarily before the same issue occurring right after.
  • Does anyone else ever have this problem?
  • I don't believe there've been other reports of this.

Does this happen if you select individual PDFs, or only multiple? If the latter, can you narrow it down to specific PDFs that cause it to fail? Can you provide a Debug ID for right-clicking not working?
  • Right click stops working entirely on highlighted entries. I just enabled debug output logging, tried right clicking again, and it stopped working. The debug ID given was as follows.

D1045665434.
  • Nothing helpful in there, I'm afraid.

Does restarting Zotero fix it?
  • It has in the past, as has uninstalling it and reinstalling it. Right now it's largely non-functional. The right click window finally popped up just now after restarting it, but it took several minutes to appear.
  • For a single item, or for a large number of items?
  • The lag was for about 60 items this last time. Other times the right click function hasn't worked at all, even for individual items. It has been sporadic and sometimes a reboot of my computer doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

Apologies that I can't be more helpful.
  • Is your Zotero data directory in the default location on your primary drive?
  • Even when right click is working, function is sporadic. Right now I can right click again, but 'remove from collection' isn't working.
  • No. My Zotero data directory is on my D drive as my C drive is a ssd with limited capacity.
  • That sounds like a more severe problem with Zotero's functioning on your system.

If you disable auto-sync (if you're using syncing), close Zotero, create a temporary directory on your C drive, copy the zotero.sqlite file there, and point Zotero at that directory, do you still have trouble?
  • I haven't been using syncing at all and it is turned off. Do you want me to point my data directory to the C drive, and is there any particular temporary directory I should be using? I don't have enough room on my c drive for my data directory.
  • Zotero itself is also installed on my D drive as I try and keep my C drive as stripped down as possible.
  • edited December 30, 2019
    I'm not saying to copy the data directory — just to put a copy of the zotero.sqlite file itself in some empty directory on the C drive and point Zotero there as a debugging step. You can switch it back to continue working.
  • I moved the zotero.sqlite file to the c drive. Remove from collection still doesn't work, and zotero can't find the pdfs, which I assumed would happen.
  • edited December 30, 2019
    Can you provide a Debug ID for "Remove Item from Collection" not working?
  • And what about the right-click menu? Is that still not working reliably?
  • Here's the Debug ID for "Remove Item from Collection" not working

D1550480423

The right click seems to be working otherwise for merging.
  • So you're saying the right-click menu is now appearing properly all the time when using the database on the C drive?
    Item 52164 not a child of collection 9
    I'd guess that you have Tools → "Show Items from Subcollections" enabled and are trying to remove an item from a collection when it only exists in a subcollection. We'll fix it to disable the menu option in that case. To remove the item, you need to go into the subcollection where the item actually exists (which you can reveal easily).
  • Yes, when the database is on the c drive, the right click seems to work.

I found the show items from subcollections tick box and unticked it. I either ticked it on myself or it defaults to ticked on when reinstalled. Thank you for the subcollection tip as well.
  • What do I do now, if the database only works on the c drive but all the pdfs are on the d drive? Is there a potential fix that allows me to keep the database on the d drive?
  • If you switch back to the database on the D drive, does the problem of the delayed context menu return?
  • I take it the D drive is an HDD and the C drive is an SSD?
  • Yes, the D drive is an HDD and C drive is an SSD.

Switching back to the database on the D drive solved the delayed/broken right click context menu at first, but the latency seems to be coming back. I'll keep an eye on it.
  • Thank you and Happy New Year!
  • The problem is back again. This time it kicked in after I reopened Zotero after it crashed after it automatically got a bunch of metadata for newly added pdfs.

Debug ID: 1951218236

Imported PDFs [Drag and drop]
    Zotero ran metadata
    Zotero crashed
    Zotero restarted
    Right click doesn't work.
    I'm going to restart my computer and see if it fixes it.
  • edited January 7, 2020
    That's a Report ID, not a Debug ID. We would want it to cover solely the action of right-clicking and waiting for the menu to appear.
  • Apologies. Rebooting the computer fixed the issue now, but I'll do so next time it happens.