(Not) losing Zotero Citations via proof reading of a document.

edited December 20, 2019
Hi there.

I have a question concerning the proofreading of a larger document (my dissertation) written in LibreOffice with automatic Zotero citations. I normally send a copy of (a part of) my document to the proof-reader while I continue working on the original document. The proof-reader uses Word (could maybe also use LibreOffice) and the „tracking of changes“ option. When I get the document back naturally all the Zotero citations/ links in the footnotes are gone and appear as simple text. As a result, I cannot copy and paste larger text passages into my document but have to work my way around the citations (copying sentence for sentence and leaving out the citations).

So here’s my question: Is there any way for the automatic citations not to get lost in this process, i.e. to appear in the proof-read document? The proof reader would not have to edit the citations, but to be able to copy paste them for example (if the arrangement needs to change).

Thank you very much in advance
Sofia
  • You can go into the document properties (in the Zotero plugin) and change the field storage method to Bookmarks, then save the document as .doc. The bookmark citations are more prone to corruption, but it will allow a Word user to edit your document without breaking citation links. You can convert the document back to ReferenceMarks (and save as .odt) after a review to ensure that your edits are more corruption-proof.
  • If you can get the proofreader to work with LibreOffice and save to .odt, that would also work and be more robust. Given how fragile Bookmarks can be, I'd be wary of using them during proofreading with track changes.
  • Thank you, that really helps a lot!