Bibliography: same author different works, in 2nd output, the author is left blank

Hi, I have add trouble with the bibliography output.
When I have several sources from the same author, after the first output in the bibliography, where the authors name is listed, the following sources from same author are left as "---", followed by the name of the source and so on. Only the name of the author is left out.

If I add a full stop in the name in zotero, then the name pops up in the bibliography, as it should, otherwise, the second time the authors source is cited in the biblography, the authors name is left out as "---".

I am using Bluebook Law Review, but I had the same issues when I used Chicago style.
  • At least for Chicago author-date that's by design and specified like that in the Manual. Bluebook I believe doesn't have a clearly specified bibliography style (it's typically just footnotes) but I assume it's the same.

Most other styles wouldn't do this.
  • Ok, I see what you mean. The made the bibliography when I used Chicago style. I changed to BlueBook midway and did not see that that this setting did not create a bibliography output.

That then limits my question to when using chicago style. That when I cite the same author, on different works, the bibliography leaves out the authors name on the second reference. Does this mean that I should use another style for my references?
  • I mean -- it doesn't "leave out" the author. It signals repated mentions of the same author by 3 em dashes as specified in the Chicago Manual. If you don't want that, you'd need to user a different style or modify your local version of the Chicago Manual one (which in this case is pretty simple)
  • Great!!
    As this is pretty simple, how do I do this? Is there like a step-by-step manuel? So far I have found a bunch of coding solutions and wonder if there is anything more simpel...?
  • Open the Chicago-author-date.csl file in a text editor. Find the text subsequent-author-substitute="———" and delete it. Then change the style title and ID at the top of the style. Save it and install into Zotero.