building zotero 5 for ARM (raspberry)

I have been trying to build zotero 5 for the raspberry pi 4, using the instructions at https://www.zotero.org/support/dev/client_coding/Building_the_standalone_client. I have successfully cloned the Zotero source code in the first step, I have updated my installation of Node.js to node-v12.13.1-linux-armv7l. When following step 2, I cd to the zotero-client directory and run npm i, I get the following:
npm WARN acorn-jsx@5.0.1 requires a peer of acorn@^6.0.0 but none is installed. You must install peer dependencies yourself.
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: fsevents@1.2.7 (node_modules/fsevents):
npm WARN notsup SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: Unsupported platform for fsevents@1.2.7: wanted {"os":"darwin","arch":"any"} (current: {"os":"linux","arch":"arm"})

audited 6720 packages in 41.267s
found 2 vulnerabilities (1 low, 1 critical)
run `npm audit fix` to fix them, or `npm audit` for details

That line about skipping an optional dependency seems to say that I can't compile for the arm platform. Is that true? Is there a way to work around this?

• If I press ahead and issue
    npm run build
    I get the following fatal error:

zotero@5.0.0 build /home/pi/zotero-client
    > node ./scripts/build.js

/home/pi/zotero-client/node_modules/node-sass/lib/binding.js:13
    throw new Error(errors.unsupportedEnvironment());
    ^

Error: Node Sass does not yet support your current environment: Linux Unsupported architecture (arm) with Node.js 12.x
    For more information on which environments are supported please see:
    https://github.com/sass/node-sass/releases/tag/v4.13.0
    at module.exports (/home/pi/zotero-client/node_modules/node-sass/lib/binding.js:13:13)
    at Object. (/home/pi/zotero-client/node_modules/node-sass/lib/index.js:14:35)
    at Module._compile (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:959:30)
    at Object.Module._extensions..js (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:995:10)
    at Module.load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:815:32)
    at Function.Module._load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:727:14)
    at Module.require (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:852:19)
    at require (internal/modules/cjs/helpers.js:74:18)
    at Object. (/home/pi/zotero-client/scripts/sass.js:4:14)
    at Module._compile (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:959:30)
    npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
    npm ERR! errno 1
    npm ERR! zotero@5.0.0 build: `node ./scripts/build.js`
    npm ERR! Exit status 1
    npm ERR!
    npm ERR! Failed at the zotero@5.0.0 build script.
    npm ERR! This is probably not a problem with npm. There is likely additional logging output above.

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
    npm ERR! /home/pi/.npm/_logs/2019-12-08T21_16_10_429Z-debug.log
  • I issued npm rebuild node-sass, and this seemed to clear up this problem. So I pressed on
    ahead with the next few steps. All of them ran normally. But the standalone binary was in the staging/Zotero_linux-x86_64 directory, which suggests that it was built for intel rather than for ARM, and indeed when i try to run it with staging/Zotero_linux-x86_64/zotero I get "no such file or directory"
  • Zotero is built on modified versions of the official Firefox binaries, so you'd have to figure out how to run the fetch_xulrunner.sh steps on a Firefox ARM build. You'd also have to build customized versions of the Xpdf tools.
  • Thank you. That seems a little beyond me at the moment. It will be a task for another day.