Word plugin status update

2»
  • Just tried the Word Plugin. So far it looks really good. I was wondering though, when are further citation formats - or better yet the ability to create custom formats - likely to be implemented?

By the way, keep up the great work. This is really becoming an awesome piece of software!
  • Dan -- what's the backward compatibility story? Bottomline: I've got an almost-done manuscript created with the old plug-in. What should I do so as to avoid major problems?
  • Bruce: Simon is working on some major updates to the Word plugin. You might want to talk to him.
  • I installed the new plugin and also get backward compatibility troubles: is there a way to keep using word doc older than this update? (I always get an error message about communication with Zotero, whereas using zotero plugin in new word docs work fine).

Actually, it's not a matter of finishing a manuscript, but more of keeping a bibliography review up to date; I'm thus supposed to use this doc still during a long time. Any idea?

Anyway, this update looks like really good! Thanks,

Thomas
  • We'll be releasing an update in the very near future that addresses these upgrade and communication issues. Thank you for your patience.
  • Please update your Zotero installation to 1.0 RC3, available now for download on our homepage. It should resolve the communication error messages that people were experiencing.
  • I have tried the new version of the plug-in mentioned in Sean's post of August 17. It has the exact same issues as those detailed in kkhanharris' recent posts. Alas, Harris was able to get the plug-in to work but doesn't know how.

Any ideas?
  • I have been having similar problems which have been resolved by trashing the .dot plugin from the Office startup folder and subsequently reinstalling the .dot file.
    System is as follows:
    OSX version 10.4.10
    Office 2004 MS Word version 11.3
  • Any plans to create a plug-in for Office 2007. All new file type names, but MS has both back and forward compatibility hotfixs
  • The existing plug-in seems to work fine with Word 2007.
  • i'm just trying Zotero for the first time, with Word 2004 (Mac OS X).

clicking on the z"r button to insert a citation, i get the format selection dialog, but then Word presents me with a "run-time error '5': Invalid procedure call or argument"

can anyone suggest how to resolve this? i'd like to replace my Endnote with Zotero, but inserting citations is a pretty big need :)
  • oh - and i should say this is the latest (1.0.0.rc3) Zotero and Word plugin just installed today 1.0a3.

but not getting very far - this is in a brand new (blank) Word doc, or one with just a few words entered to make sure that the blank doc isn't the issue.

any ideas how to troubleshoot?
  • Reinstalling Word fixed the problem, for what it's worth.
    Now the plugin seems to operate as expected!
  • Hi, I'm new to Zotero, and loving it! However, I'm having difficulty installing the Word plugin on my new laptop, which has Windows Vista and Office 2007. I can't seem to find the startup directory for word, is it called by a different name in the new version? While I love the bibliographic function of Zotero, I feel as if I'm stuck in 2nd gear if I can't use the plugin. Thanks again for a great job.
  • Hi jpodesv,

To make it easier for users to install the Word plugin under Windows, I wrote an installer:
    http://zotero-dev.googlegroups.com/web/ZoteroWordPluginInstaller0.4.zip

I would appreciate it if you could test it (and report back here if it works). All this installer does is place the installer plugin-file (Zotero.dot) in the right folder. It should also work under Vista, but I haven't been able to test this yet. If it does work, the installer can probably be made available soon via the Zotero webpage.

Alternatively, you can do the installation by hand. This is how you can find the correct startup folder for Office 2007 :
    1. In Word 2007, click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click Word Options.
    2. Click Advanced.
    3. Under General, click File Locations. The Startup folder should be listed here.

By default, this probably would be "c:\Users\user name\AppData\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP" for Office 2007 under Vista.
  • Wow, thanks for the quick turnaround. I'll try this at home tonight and get back to you on whether or not it works. Thanks again!
  • It works, only one problem, and it is probably my fault. For the first citation, it inserts a footnote that doesn't give complete information...for example:

Boehling, A Question of Priorities

is the first citation. No publisher information, page number, etc. Is it something I'm doing? Other than this issue, the installer worked great. Thanks!
  • I don't know a lot about the inner workings of the plugin. My focus is on the installation part, and that seems to have gone okay. Perhaps another developer can help you out. Thanks for testing out the installer.
  • Hi, I'm not a developer, but I have a couple of questions that I hope will be useful.
    No publisher information, page number, etc.
    1) Which citation style did you choose? For example, the Chicago style (Note with bibliography) only puts the short version of the title in the footnote. The rest of the information will appear in the bibliography once you have added that. If this is not what you want, then you could try another citation style, such as Chicago style (Note without bibliography), which puts everything in the footnotes and does not allow for a separate bibliography to be added.

2) Did you add the page number in the "Add Citation" window of the Zotero plugin? There's a text box for the page number at the bottom of that window. Whatever you put there ought to appear in the note.
  • Sybille, you were correct, it was the citation style I was using (Chicago without bibliography). User error strikes again!
  • edited October 19, 2007
    New plugins for MS Word and OpenOffice (including NeoOffice) are now available. The new plugins require Zotero 1.0.0rc4 and offer a great deal of new and improved functionality.
  • I've got a little trouble with the latest version of the word plugin (1.0b1). I'm using word 2007 and when I click the button "insert bibliography" the plugin puts two "paragraph mark" (^p) after each reference. I can remove every second mark manually but when I click refresh they appear again (obvious).

On the other hand, It will be very good if citations appear with a style so users can customize the appearence changing it with word.
  • Hi, I've got a somewhat strange problem using the IEEE citation style and Word2007:
    I insert my references into the first page, and they are correctly ordered by first appearance.
    However, when I insert an additional reference to the second page, the ones on the first page are renumbered in a strange way, leading to a sequence of appearance of 1-2-7-4-3-5-6 i e. 3 is changed to 7, 5 to 3, 6 to 5 and 7 to 6. This happens both if I reuse an old reference and if I insert a completely new one.
    Can anyone tell me why this happens, and what I can do about it?
  • Hello,

Is there a plan to integrate the XML tags into the Word .doc, within the field codes?

This is the current system employed by EndNote, and RefMan, and it allows the data to be extracted directly from the Word file, and reduces mark-up costs.

Any information regarding this issue would be greatly appreciated.
  • I don't think it makes much sense to embed the data in the field, particularly given how common it is to have multiple citations refer to the same source.

I do think it's sensible to embed data in the file package in OOXML and OpenDocument, however. This is how OOXML defines citation encoding in its spec, and it's how we'll do it in ODF. That gives the benefits you describe (and also the possibility to have standardized encoding that allows users to collaborate on a document using different programs), without the costs.

But there's an even more crucial first step: using more robust global identifiers to identify citation sources.

But this has been discussed before, mostly on the dev list. It seems to me likely to get solved.
  • I appreciate your concern with embedding the data within the field codes.

This system relies on the extraction process recognising duplicates, and removing them. Considering the recently introduced 'truncate field code' functions introduced to some commercial applications (to avoid causing instability within the document), we are in need of an alternative method for extraction.

How would you enter data within a Word document? Where would we find it? and How we recognise it?
  • How would you enter data within a Word document? Where would we find it? and How we recognise it?
    The data would get stored in a dedicated file. If you look, for example, at a docx file with citations, there's a file called something like bibliography.xml. This data is hooked up to a field in the main document.

ODF would work similarly, except the data would get encoded in RDF.

In either case, you could extract the data for the citations by simply loading the relevant file, rather than having to hunt through the document looking for fields.

As for editing, I'd expect it'd be similar to what you see now in Zotero and Word/OpenOffice integration.