Can't Import an EndNote Library after upgrading to EndNote 2.0beta

Report ID: 623126888

I was able to import EndNote libraries to Zotero until I upgraded Zotero to 2.0beta. When trying to import a RIS text file of the endnote library export, the system said "an error occurred when trying to import ...". Please help!
  • If you don't mind, could you send an example RIS file that fails to support@zot....org, with a link to this thread?
  • File sent. Thank you.
  • This should be fixed in 2.0b6.5, now available. The file itself is fine, but there was a bug in Zotero that was causing import errors under certain conditions.
  • Indeed that worked out. Bravo. Thanks.
  • Hi Dan. I'm experiencing similar problems (Win XP, Firefox 3/3.5, Zotero 2.0b6.5).

The error message reads (translated from german): an error occured at the import of the chosen file. please check if the file is correct and try again

I'm trying to import 600+ records, but after the error message appears, only about a third is actually imported. I've tried to narrow down which record causes the error to appear. I've found one, but the weird thing is: even it this record throws an error, the record will be imported. So I'm not sure what actually causes the loss of those 2/3ds of records. Would you mind taking a look? I'm sending you three files.
  • ok, one problem solved - was actually quite obvious; in some of the pdf-file-paths in Endnote, for whatever reason, theres instead of slashes the characters '%5C' in the pathname. A search and replace fixes that. But something else throws errors too. I'll have to narrow it down again by making smaller and smaller export files, until the error doesn't show up. It would help a lot, if import errors would show the name(s) of the error-throwing record in the message-text, or log the errors in a log-file?.
  • second problem solved as well; my co-workers library contained other broken filepaths, where the drive-letters were not immediately followed by a ":" (e.g. file:///G/path/here instead of file:///G:/path/here).
    I have no idea where this path-error and the one described above stem from; they are wrong in the endnote-library already, so I can't blame it on the export. Maybe they are a muck up from my colleague, or one of EndNote; no idea.

As a summary: it would be nice if zotero would throw error messages a little more meaningful, helping you to easily troubleshoot broken records. Other than that: no complaints so far, we're now just about ready to switch over to Zotero! Yihah :)
  • edited September 7, 2009
    Welcome to Zotero!

Indeed, Zotero should be more specific in its error messages here (as discussed previously this long thread).

in some of the pdf-file-paths in Endnote, for whatever reason, theres instead of slashes the characters '%5C' in the pathname.
    Do make sure to complain about this issue at EndNote/ThomsonRS. It's their software and their bug, and it's hurting their users.
  • I'm using Zotero 2.0b6.5 on a new Macbook Pro. I have formatted my Endnote Library to RIS format, exported as txt (on my old PC-workstation). When I try to import the library into Endnote on my Mac, endnote says (translated from danish): "No parser for the file in question". I can't import?!

Regards, Anders.
  • Wait, is it EndNote that says this?
  • No no, my mistake. It is Zotero that says "No parser..". Sorry.
  • First, you're using an outdated version of Zotero 2.0. Upgrade to the latest verison.

Next, please provide a Report ID after trying to import.
  • Report ID: 2064276035 - I now have the most recent beta-version, and the problem stays the same. I have tried to import both a bibtex and a refman (RIS) formatted Endnote-export txt, but still the "parser thing"...

Regards,
    Anders
  • Would it help if I uploaded my RIS formatted txt for you to examine, or is the Report ID sufficient?
  • Now it works?! Still producing som error-codes when checking the report, but I have succesfully imported all my references.