Print URL for Online Encyclopedia

Hi, i'am João Mendes

I've been searching if it is possible to fully custom a style with the visual editor and it seems that isn't possible in zotero. I guess it's only possible to do some tweaks, but nothing is fully clear.

I'm making the transition from the endonote for now because zotero supports webdav syncs and that's is a killing feature for me at moment.

I'm trying to put a "macro: access" that i fully copy from IEEE style but it is configured for entry-encyclopedia article type of reference instead of web-page to print the url but it it doesn't print.

The style i'am trying to use is the American Chemical Society:

(https://editor.citationstyles.org/styleInfo/?styleId=http://www.zotero.org/styles/american-chemical-society)

My goal its to have a Type Ref: Encyclopedia Article to display the url and access date in this order (Authors, Article Title, Encyclopedia Title, Publisher, Year) that i already got but it lacks the URL and Access Date:

Augustyn, A.; Bauer, P.; Duignan, B.; Eldridge, A.; Gregersen, E.; McKenna, A.; Petruzzello, M.; Rafferty, J. P.; Ray, M.; Rogers, K.; et al. Digestion. Encyclopædia Britannica; Encyclopædia Britannica, inc., 2016 (URL) (Access Date)

I could use "web-page" as a reference type but it only prints the Article title, it doesn´t print the the publisher or the web title (that i could use to put the encyclopedia name).

If anyone could give any insights on this i would appreciate it,

Best regards
  • In the section just above `else-if type="webpage"`, there is the formatting code for book chapters, conference proceedings papers, and entries in dictionaries and encyclopedia articles:

<else-if type="chapter paper-conference entry-dictionary entry-encyclopedia" match="any">
    <group delimiter="; ">
    <text macro="book-container"/>
    <text macro="editor"/>
    <text macro="series"/>
    <group delimiter=", ">
    <text macro="publisher"/>
    <text macro="issued"/>
    </group>
    <group delimiter=", ">
    <text macro="volume"/>
    <text macro="pages"/>
    </group>
    </group>
    </else-if>
    <else-if type="webpage">
    <group delimiter=" ">
    <text variable="title"/>
    <text variable="URL"/>
    <date variable="accessed" prefix="(accessed " suffix=")" delimiter=" ">
    <date-part name="month" form="short" strip-periods="true"/>
    <date-part name="day" suffix=", "/>
    <date-part name="year"/>
    </date>
    </group>
    </else-if>

If you want the URL to appear for all of those types when there aren't page numbers, replace this part of the code:

<group delimiter=", ">
    <text macro="volume"/>
    <text macro="pages"/>
    </group>

with:

<choose>
    <if variable="pages">
    <group delimiter=", ">
    <text macro="volume"/>
    <text macro="pages"/>
    </group>
    </if>
    <else>
    <group delimiter=" ">
    <text variable="URL"/>
    <date variable="accessed" prefix="(accessed " suffix=")" delimiter=" ">
    <date-part name="month" form="short" strip-periods="true"/>
    <date-part name="day" suffix=", "/>
    <date-part name="year"/>
    </date>
    </group>
    </else>
    </choose>
  • Hi @bwiernik thank you for the support,

After some time spending in visual editor i saw that and i have changed it. The encyclopedia type its associated with some others reference types and i didn't find it because of that.

Thank you,

Best regards.
  • For the larger question, the visual editor implements the full CSL schema and everything one can do in a CSL citation style can be done with the editor.