Using custom reference keys when generating BibTeX bibliographies

When I generate a BibTeX bibliography from a Zotero collection, the keys for the entries are automatically generated using the reference data.

Usually, these auto-generated keys are unnecessarily long which results in a situation where I have to look up the reference key every time I want to add a citation. When I manually deal with BibTeX bibliographies instead, I come up with short and memorable keys for references that are convenient to type. Furthermore, certain important references have standard nicknames which I would like to use when citing those. For instance, the book [1] is _always_ referred to as "the dragon book" and I find it quite convenient to simply write `\cite{dragon}`).

So far, I have not been able to find a method in Zotero to use custom keys when generating BibTeX bibliographies which is rendering Zotero practically unusable for me (although I am really enjoying using it otherwise). I would appreciate if someone could tell me how to do this kind of thing in Zotero.

If such a feature does not exist, I would like to propose this as a feature request. It should be quite easy to implement anyways.

[1]: Aho, A. V. (2007). Compilers: Principles, techniques, & tools (2. ed.). Pearson Addison-Wesley. (Depending on RTAC solution).