Vancouver citations - failure to update when the document is reordered

Hi,
I am currently editing a Google Doc with Vancouver-style citations. However, I have noticed that when I reorder the document, moving one cited text to another place in the document, the numbers are not updating. This has resulted in (17) directly coming after (14), etc.
I have closed down and restarted both Zotero and Google Docs but there has been no change and the order (or disorder!) remains. I have also copied the text into Word but the problem continues.
Any help would be most appreciated.
  • What happens if you change to a completely different citation style (e.g. APA) and back?
  • Hi Adam,
    I changed the bibliography to Harvard style. The bibliography itself changed but the numbers remained following the relevant text (and not author and year). When I create a bibliography from the articles in Zotero, it produces a list of references that do not update in real time. However, updating the bibliography in the Google doc resulted in 2 sets of references, all with numbers.
  • Thanks for your help!
  • he bibliography itself changed but the numbers remained following the relevant text (and not author and year).
    And presumably you have done nothing to manually change the numbers, right (like change [] to () or so?)

That shouldn't happen then. And this is the case for all citations?

Try if you can fix the document with https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/debugging_broken_documents
  • No. I deleted one manually but apart from that, I have left them as they are. It continues to allow me cite while I write and inserts the reference number. It hasn't changed any of the citations for the first number of pages (before I made any changes).