sync error

edited November 14, 2019
Is there a way to fix it? I recently updated my engines json file with this. Could be the blame?

https://github.com/bwiernik/zotero-tools

[JavaScript Error: "Download request 1/DUNBWQT5 failed"]

[JavaScript Error: "Win error 145 during operation removeEmptyDir on file C:\Users\mydjt\Zotero\storage\DUNBWQT5 (The directory is not empty.
)" {file: "(unknown module)" line: 0}]

[repeated errors removed — D.S.]

version => 5.0.77, platform => Win32, oscpu => Windows NT 10.0; WOW64, locale => en-US, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 5.0.77, extensions => Zotero Date From Last Modified (0.0.12, extension), ZoteroQuickLook (1.3.3, extension), Zotero Storage Scanner (5.0.8, extension), Zotero AutoIndex (5.0.6, extension), Zutilo Utility for Zotero (3.3.0, extension), Zotero DOI Manager (1.3.9, extension), ZotFile (5.0.14, extension), Better BibTex for Zotero (5.1.159, extension), Zotero Scholar Citations (2.0.3, extension, disabled), Zotero LibreOffice Integration (5.0.20.SA.5.0.77, extension, disabled), Zotero Word for Windows Integration (5.0.14.SA.5.0.77, extension, disabled), Zotero Scihub (0.0.5, extension, disabled)
  • If you open C:\Users\mydjt\Zotero\storage\DUNBWQT5, what do you see? If there's a file in there that you currently have open on your system, you should close it and try again.
  • I see the file that I want. I dont understand why it doesnt show up in zotero. The nfile is not open in my system becuase zotero didnt open it. Also, I did a search for the folder and I have a replica on my google drive. Does that matter?
  • Also, Imusing webdav via pcloud. See screenshot.

https://cl.ly/7ba42b
  • Zotero preferences; files and folders: https://cl.ly/9d5069
    Zotero preferences; search; https://cl.ly/63f295
    Zotfile Preferences; https://cl.ly/ed45b1

Also, on zotero website [ https://www.zotero.org/support/locate/openurl_resolvers ] UCLA is set as http://ucelinks.cdlib.org:8888/sfx_local (without ? at the end), however, on UCLA websites it comes in different flavors...
    1) with a question mark --> https://guides.lib.berkeley.edu/c.php?g=621509&p=4329185
    2) with more letters at the end --> https://cdlib.org/services/info-services/instruct/getting-started-with-uc-elinks/

Last question, do the renaming rules have to be the same on both computers?

• Just experienced it again with following error below.

Report ID: 2102901930

[JavaScript Error: "JSON.parse: unexpected non-whitespace character after JSON data at line 37 column 1 of the JSON data" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/locateManager.js" line: 42}]

[JavaScript Error: "Win error 145 during operation removeEmptyDir on file C:\Users\mydjt\Zotero\storage\DUNBWQT5 (The directory is not empty.

version => 5.0.79, platform => Win32, oscpu => Windows NT 10.0; WOW64, locale => en-US, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 5.0.79, extensions => Zotero Date From Last Modified (0.0.12, extension), Zotero Storage Scanner (5.0.8, extension), Zotero AutoIndex (5.0.6, extension), Zutilo Utility for Zotero (3.3.0, extension), Zotero DOI Manager (1.3.9, extension), ZotFile (5.0.14, extension), ZoteroQuickLook (1.4.0, extension), Zotero Scholar Citations (2.0.3, extension, disabled), Zotero Scihub (0.0.5, extension, disabled), Better BibTex for Zotero (5.1.168, extension, disabled), Zotero LibreOffice Integration (5.0.20.SA.5.0.79, extension, disabled), Zotero Word for Windows Integration (5.0.14.SA.5.0.79, extension, disabled)
  • edited December 4, 2019
    Did you by any chance make your 'storage' directory a symlink?
    I dont understand why it doesnt show up in zotero.
    I'm not sure what you mean by that. If Zotero is trying to sync a file, the attachment item definitely exists in Zotero. Paste 'DUNBWQT5' into the Zotero search bar in All Fields & Tags mode in your library root to see it. It could also be in the trash or a group library.
  • Sorry for the delay

Did you by any chance make your 'storage' directory a symlink?
    - No I did not.

Here are two new errors I just noted.

1)
    Report ID: 231777360

[JavaScript Error: "WebSocket connection closed: 1006 "]

[JavaScript Error: "The connection was refused when attempting to contact wss://stream.zotero.org/."]

[JavaScript Error: "The connection was refused when attempting to contact wss://stream.zotero.org/."]

[JavaScript Error: "The connection to wss://stream.zotero.org/ has terminated unexpectedly. Some data may have been transferred."]

version => 5.0.80, platform => Win32, oscpu => Windows NT 10.0; WOW64, locale => en-US, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 5.0.80, extensions => Zotero Date From Last Modified (0.0.12, extension), Zotero AutoIndex (5.0.6, extension), ZotFile (5.0.14, extension), Zutilo Utility for Zotero (3.3.3, extension), ZoteroQuickLook (1.4.0, extension), Zotero Storage Scanner (5.0.8, extension, disabled), Zotero Scholar Citations (2.0.3, extension, disabled), Zotero Report Customizer (5.0.32, extension, disabled), Zotero DOI Manager (1.3.9, extension, disabled), Zotero LibreOffice Integration (5.0.20.SA.5.0.80, extension, disabled), Zotero Word for Windows Integration (5.0.14.SA.5.0.80, extension, disabled), Better BibTex for Zotero (5.1.169, extension, disabled)

Report ID 1512475372
    2)
    [JavaScript Error: "JSON.parse: unexpected non-whitespace character after JSON data at line 37 column 1 of the JSON data" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/locateManager.js" line: 42}]

Warning: NetUtil.newChannel(uri) deprecated, please provide argument 'aWhatToLoad'

version => 5.0.80, platform => Win32, oscpu => Windows NT 10.0; WOW64, locale => en-US, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 5.0.80, extensions => Zotero Date From Last Modified (0.0.12, extension), Zotero Storage Scanner (5.0.8, extension), Zotero AutoIndex (5.0.6, extension), Zotero DOI Manager (1.3.9, extension), ZotFile (5.0.14, extension), Zutilo Utility for Zotero (3.3.3, extension), ZoteroQuickLook (1.4.0, extension), Zotero Scholar Citations (2.0.3, extension, disabled), Zotero Scihub (0.0.5, extension, disabled), Zotero LibreOffice Integration (5.0.20.SA.5.0.80, extension, disabled), Zotero Word for Windows Integration (5.0.14.SA.5.0.80, extension, disabled), Better BibTex for Zotero (5.1.169, extension, disabled)
  • I recently updated my engines json file with this.
    This would be unrelated to the sync error, but you definitely did introduce a syntax error in the engines.json file, so you should fix that.

For the file sync error, this could be due to security software on your system, but let's see if it occurs for any other files.

First make a copy of the PDF in the DUNBWQT5 directory. Then paste "DUNBWQT5" into the Zotero search bar in All Fields & Tags mode, delete the attachment item that comes up, and empty the trash. You can then drag the PDF onto the item again.

If you then try syncing, do you get another error? (If not, it's still possible it will occur when you next make a change to a file on another computer, but maybe not.)
  • Just did it. THe file wont delete. I added it again deleted emptied trash still there.
  • What do you mean by "the file won't deleted"? This is about deleting the attachment item in Zotero. What exactly are you trying and what is happening?
  • How do I fix it?
    "This would be unrelated to the sync error, but you definitely did introduce a syntax error in the engines.json file, so you should fix that."

I made a copy of the PDF in the DUNBWQT5 directory. Then pasted "DUNBWQT5" into the Zotero search bar in All Fields & Tags mode, deleted the attachment item that comes up, and emptied the trash. I searched in zotero and it's still there. I think I want to restart my entire zotero collection from scratch and reinstall zotero again. How do I do that?

• How do I fix it?
    You edit the JSON file and introduced a syntax error. You should only edit that file if you know how to create valid JSON. If not, you should delete it and let it be recreated as a valid file.
    think I want to restart my entire zotero collection from scratch and reinstall zotero again.
    No, don't do that. There's no need to, and it can easily cause more problems.
    Then pasted "DUNBWQT5" into the Zotero search bar in All Fields & Tags mode, deleted the attachment item that comes up, and emptied the trash. I searched in zotero and it's still there.
    I don't know what you mean by this. If you delete the item, it's gone by definition. So then what are you searching for?
  • OK. I recently switched to using Zotero syncing and no longer having issues. Thanks for your help.