one click re-post

I often have cite the same source multiple times over the course of a page or two. each time I enter a citation I have to go through the same tedious process of clicking zotero, choosing the entry etc.

I'd like to have a one-click 'cite-same-source-as-last-one' button.

thx for an awesome product.
  • edited July 23, 2009
    I was just going to ask for the same feature. I often cite the same sources over and over. Would it be feasible for it to remember the last reference used?

Thank you.
  • If you select your item from a collection, the plugin will automatically open with that collection iopened the next time you cite.
    I think that works pretty nicely to the desired effect without overloading functionality, no?
  • edited July 24, 2009
    Honestly, no. Your use of the word "overload" concerns me. Perhaps we're not writing the same kinds of things, but when you're working on a book or article with dozens or even hundreds of footnotes, no. I don't see this as an extravagance, but something that will add up to hours of repetitive mousing. I much prefer how Endnote does things in this area, I have to confess. The exact item is remembered, and when you insert the reference, in it goes, with no further effort. It's instantaneous.
  • "overload" means to me "I don't want another button or item in context menu".
    But what you describe sounds good - i.e. if the plugin would just have the last item cited selected by default? You'd then only have to press insert citation and hit return - that would be OK, right?
    What would be preferred behavior if the last citation was multiple items?
  • edited July 24, 2009
    This is the reason I adopted Endnote in the first place, by the way: footnotes are a lot of work. Something that saves me having to think about and slave over them is a killer app.

What you describe seems like the right track. Are you familiar with Endnote at all? (It's my only frame of reference, so forgive me for bringing it up.) It has its disadvantages, believe me, but it shines here. It can do what Zotero does--selecting from within the insertion dialog--but most of the time, you go to the main library window (in the stand-alone app) and select one or more items. You then go to Word, and hit insert as you write (having a keyboard shortcut makes it even easier). Endnote remembers and resuses whatever references you have selected, until you select something else. I don't see any need to have the library open all the time, however, as long as the Word plug-in remembers.
  • I completely agree with mgrowhoski that there is where endnote shines despite all its fault. I like endnote that I can keep pressing alt-1, alt-2, and up-down arrows repetitively to cite numerous sources without my hands leaving the keyboards. Zotero seems like much more tedious for the same task.