Error Report ID 1817415898

edited November 12, 2019
I'm unable to sync my Zotero desktop.

Could someone help me out here please? I followed the instructions on manually repairing the database, but this persists. (I edited this post to reflect this) Many thanks in advance.

This is the error report generated:

[JavaScript Error: "Error(s) encountered during statement execution: database disk image is malformed [QUERY: DELETE FROM fulltextWords WHERE wordID NOT IN (SELECT wordID FROM fulltextItemWords)] [PARAMS: ] [ERROR: database disk image is malformed]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/db.js" line: 670}]

[JavaScript Error: "Error(s) encountered during statement execution: database disk image is malformed [QUERY: DELETE FROM fulltextWords WHERE wordID NOT IN (SELECT wordID FROM fulltextItemWords)] [PARAMS: ] [ERROR: database disk image is malformed]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/db.js" line: 670}]

version => 5.0.77, platform => MacIntel, oscpu => Intel Mac OS X 10.15, locale => en-US, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 5.0.77, extensions => ZoteroQuickLook (1.3.3, extension), RTF/ODF Scan for Zotero (2.0.41, extension), Zotero Storage Scanner (5.0.8, extension), Zotero DOI Manager (1.3.9, extension), Zotero LibreOffice Integration (5.0.20.SA.5.0.77, extension), Zotero Word for Mac Integration (5.0.24.SA.5.0.77, extension), ZotFile (5.0.14, extension), Shockwave Flash (32.0.0.270, plugin)r
  • Your database is corrupted, which generally happens from having your Zotero data directory in a cloud storage folder or network drive. If that's the case, you should move it back to the default location.

You can try to fix the damage with the DB Repair Tool.

I'm not sure what manual repair instructions you're referring to — the ones on the DB Repair Tool page? — but if you're getting this, you didn't do something correctly. There's no way to still have DB corruption immediately after rebuilding the database from scratch.

If you're not able to repair it, and your data is all online, you can just delete the zotero.sqlite file (or move it somewhere temporarily for backup) with Zotero closed and then reopen Zotero and sync to pull down your library.
  • Thank you - yes I tried the DB repair tool, but multiple tries didn't resolve it. I followed your other suggestion, and things are working now.

My Zotero directory has never been on on the cloud or on a network; but I have upgraded my system, and may have moved it to an external hard drive and back. Might that have caused the problem?

Again, very grateful for your advice!
  • An external drive is fine in principle, but it was ever unmounted while Zotero was open, that could certainly cause database corruption.