AGLC subsequent reference error

Dear colleagues,

It seems the AGLC 4 (Australian Guide to Legal Citation 4) style fails to use short titles where specified in subsequent references. An example of what zotero is currently doing is outlined below.

1) Brian W Head, ‘Wicked Problems in Public Policy’ (2008) 3(2) Public Policy 101, 105–7 ('Wicked Problems')

2) Richard Johnstone and Michael Tooma, Work Health & Safety Regulation in Australia The Model Act (Federation Press, 1st ed, 2012) 38–43.

3) Head (n 1) 106.

Zotero should style the reference as:

1) Brian W Head, ‘Wicked Problems in Public Policy’ (2008) 3(2) Public Policy 101, 105–7 ('Wicked Problems')

2) Richard Johnstone and Michael Tooma, Work Health & Safety Regulation in Australia The Model Act (Federation Press, 1st ed, 2012) 38–43.

3) Wicked Problems (n 1) 106.

Are there any suggestions or potential fixes for this issue?

All the best,
James
  • Hi -- sorry for the long delay in responding, but I've just revisited short-titles in AGLC. I've made fixes for legal item types, but left the handling of secondary sources alone. I think you're actually incorrect in your description for the primary rule of the style. In 1.4.1 the guide says:
    For most secondary sources, the citation should be as follows:

Author Surname (n Footnote Number ) Pinpoint .

However, if several works by the same author/s are cited, both the
    surname of the author/s and the title or the short title (where one has
    been introduced in accordance with rule 1.4.4) should be provided.
    That's exactly what the current style does. The short title variant is _permitted_ (though mainly for corporate authors) but especially because the guide is clear that author surname is the right subsequent reference even where a short title has been defined, there's no way to automate that and we'll stick with the current behavior.
  • Hi Adamsmith,

Thanks for the comment. I appreciate the update. You are partially correct in your comment. Rule 1.4.1 continues on to say short titles can be used in place of the author's surname. Moreover, 1.4.4 provides examples of such. When the AGLC is used, a short title will replace the author's name in secondary sources. However, Zotero doesn't allow that.
  • right, that's what I'm saying at the end:
    there's no way to automate that and we'll stick with the current behavior.