error communicating from Word

I am trying to add citations to my document, and getting this error message:

An error occurred communicating with Zotero. Please ensure that Firefox is open and try again.

I restarted Firefox, restarted Word and restarted my computer. Same message. Any suggestions?

thanks
  • actually.. never mind, now I reinstalled zotero.dot and have a new error message:

"Run-time error "5":
    invalid procedure call or agreement"

help!
  • edited May 7, 2007
    I'm having the same issue you had above, except word CRASHES when I click the citation button. Then on second launch (and subsequent ones) I get the error "An error occurred communicating with Zotero. Please ensure that Firefox is open and try again." I tried reinstalling both the word plugin and the firefox extension (not removing my library) and it just started the cycle over again (crash... then error...)

I've submitted two Zotero Reports ID's 1082050522 and 1155821156

The one thing I did before this started happening is run Monolingual.. a utility that removes unwanted language localization files... and also removes code not needed by ones architecture (so if I'm running on Intel, it removes PPC code...). Could this be part of the problem? Though Word itself still seems to be running fine...

Let me know if the MSWord crash log would be useful... I've got it here but its too long to post

Here's the gist:

Translated Code Information:

Host Name: apoc_metals-computer
    Date/Time: 2007-05-07 23:13:13.784 -0400
    OS Version: 10.4.9 (Build 8P2137)
    Report Version: 4

Command: Microsoft Word
    Path: /Applications/Microsoft Office 2004/Microsoft Word
    Parent: WindowServer [79]
    Rosetta: Yes

Version: 11.3.4 (11.3.4 (070131), © 2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.)

PID: 3724
    Thread: Unknown

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
    Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000000
    Rosetta Version: 17.25
    Args: /Applications/Microsoft Office 2004/Microsoft Word /Applications/Microsoft Office 2004/Microsoft Word -psn_0_47841281
    Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
  • I'm sure this isn't much help, apoc, but at least I found my problem was document-specific. Luckily it was only a few pages long so far, so I could copy and paste text, remove citations, and re-cite, and zotero worked.

I get the feeling part of my problem is changing something in zotero mid-stream, which seems like a big problem with a beta program-- i.e. if every time there is an update, past or in-process documents won't link up?
  • edited May 16, 2007
    I'm just going to post this since a colleague of mine recognized my name and asked me about it-- I figure she and I are not the only people who don't realize that Dan Stillman's sticky about Word plugin problems is about this sort of bug:

http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/804/word-plugin-status-update/

so I will give myself advice now that this is happening a second time: try cutting and pasting into a new document, and if that doesn't work, wait for the new update from Zotero.

Side note: it would be good if the forums search searched all the forums, not just the one you are in-- it would avoid not seeing something that is in a different category (as I did)
  • With the Word plugin, sometimes you can get out of a pickle by going to File > Properties > Custom and deleting all the Zotero entries. This will force Word and Zotero to re-establish their communications.
  • Thanks, Bess.

Re: the forum search, it does search across all the categories. You generally want to switch it to search Comments rather than Topics, though—we should probably make Comments the default.
This discussion has been closed.