Initial citations in Word always linked, incorrectly, to the same authors

Up until recently all was well in my use of Zotero. But now, when I go to edit documents in word, each time I click "zotero edit citation", the window that opens with my zotero collection points to the same incorrect references. I've tried the steps in troubleshooting (including database repair) and now I've upgraded to the latest 2 beta, but the error remains. If I cut away the first part of my document, the problem occurs again for the first 1-4 citations that show up. If I add enough "dummy" citations at the beginning of my document, the real citations go back to working fine (e.g., I put in a few citations I don't really want at the top of the document so that the error described below is confined within them). The problem is occurring in multiple files.

To explain this in more detail, lets say the first citation in my document is (Lukman 2007), but I actually meant to include Haigh 2005 with Lukman. I click "zotero edit citation". What shows up as selected in the zotero citation window is actually an entirely different citation (typically two are highlighted for a multiple citation). I then change the citations selected to Lukman and Haigh, click ok. What shows up in word is unchanged -- e.g., incorrect, still showing (Lukman 2007). I then click on "zotero edit citation" and the zotero interface now points to the right citations, i.e., it shows that Lukman and Haigh were selected. I can toggle field codes, save and open the document -- no matter what, the initial citation will not allow itself to be corrected.

I'm at a loss as to how to proceed. Advice appreciated!
  • If you don't mind, upload your database to the DB Repair Tool and send the Upload ID and the document (or an excerpt of it that still exhibits the problem) to support@zot....org, and we'll take a look. You can ignore the download links that the repair tool provides.
  • OK, I've reproduced this on Windows. (For what it's worth, it doesn't happen with the Word 2008 plugin.) We'll look into it.