Exchanging Word doc's with non-zotero users

In most of my work I share files with non-zotero users. In order to do this I have to enter references manually in word and its quite painful. In zotero I copy ref to clipboard, paste it in a dummy word document then cut out just the reference without the [1]. Now I amready to past my ref into a word file.

Is there an easier way create 'bare' references in zotero? Ideally I would be able to copy just the ref to the clipboard with out the table and [1]. I use the IEEE format.
  • Yes the drag-and-drop is an improvement and is close to a solution. I also tried the other styles (eg Chicago) and notice that only the IEEE format uses the extra [1] and the table formatting. I may have to have another go at editing styles. I've done it before but can't remember how to save the edits.
  • Anyone, with or without Zotero, can open and read a Word document with Zotero-formatted citations. At the moment, non-Zotero users aren't able to do anything with those citations, but they can certainly read them with their own eyes.

For example, when I submit a manuscript to a publisher as a Word doc, the document contains Zotero-formatted references. I don't know or care whether the publisher has Zotero installed, and it doesn't really matter.
  • Its primarily a problem with Word. It tends to choke on large documents with complex formatting. I keep things as simple as possible so there are no nasty surprises from the NSF style checker. The table formatting in the IEEE style causes formatting problems so it would be good to have a simple style without it. I'll send a request to the style category.
  • I now have zotero doing what I want. I copied the IEEE.csl styleand removed the following lines:
    <layout prefix="[" suffix="]" delimiter=",">
    <text variable="citation-number"/>
    </layout>

and
    <option name="second-field-align" value="true"/>

This gives a bare version of the ref without the table and [1]