Style Request: Australian Guide to Legal Citation - International Materials

edited October 22, 2019
Dear all,

I would like to kindly request that the Australian Guide to Legal Citation (4th edition) be updated, specifically:
- Add International Treaties (Rule 8)
- Add United Nations materials (Rule 9)
- Add International Court of Justice/Permanent Court of International Justice materials (Rule 10)
- Add International Arbitral and Tribunal Decisions (Rule 11)
- Add International Criminal Tribunals and Courts (Rule 12)
- Add Supranational Materials (Rule 14)

Unfortunately, the style at the moment appears incomplete and is unsuitable for people working on international law matters. These additions would be very much welcomed, however I lack the skills to make the amendments myself.

The guide is here: https://law.unimelb.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/3181325/AGLC4-with-Bookmarks-1.pdf
  • edited October 22, 2019
    Hi,

In order to help with this could you post here a kind of "currently" vs "wanted" for each of those and also which item type you use for each?
  • Yes, certainly.

For example, there is currently no way to correctly cite an international criminal case:

/CASE NAME/ (COURT, CHAMBER, CASE NUMBER, DATE) PINPOINT.

Or an international treaty:

/TITLE/, opened for signature DATE, SERIES (entered into force DATE) PINPOINT.

Or a United Nations document:

AUTHOR, /TITLE/, NUMBER, UN DOCUMENT NUMBER (DATE) PINPOINT.
  • I'm afraid that's not going to be possible. Zotero simply doesn't have the ability to properly store/identify such materials and so we can't implement them in any citation style.
    Have a look at juris-m which is a Zotero fork designed for such materials:
    https://juris-m.github.io/
  • That's a huge shame—hopefully consideration will be given to adding support in the future as without it, Zotero is effectively useless as a reference manager for people in that field.
  • hence Juris-M. Zotero devs have been pretty clear that they don't intend to invest the considerable resources required to fully support legal, especially international legal citation, which is why Frank developed Juris-M