Create bibliography in a separate MS Word document?

I would like to create the bibliography for my dissertation as a separate Word document, rather than include it in the main dissertation document. Is there any way to do this (other than the blindingly obvious cut and paste from the 'submission version' when the document is finally completed)? This is for three reasons:
1 the dissertation will be a very large file ... slow updating and processing whilst drafting; usual MS large file crashes etc etc ... so anything I can do to reduce its size is welcome.
2 checking word counts - I won't have to manually select the non-bibliography pages for word counts
3 printing drafts - I won't have to remember to specify the pages to print to avoid wasting paper on the bibliography
Thanks
  • You can just insert the bibliography when you're done. The bibliography is generated automatically from the document, so there's no need to insert it ahead of time.

If you need to include uncited items in the bibliography, you can just keep a list of those somewhere and add them to the bibliography once you've inserted it.