what collection(s) is/are an item in??

How do I tell what collection(s) an item belongs to - other than by going through all the collections individually and seeing if it is in there? (In particular, I'm trying to figure out if I can delete the "Imported Thursday July 16..." folder Zotero has created, but want to confirm that the items have successfully been placed in the proper collections first.) So, for example, I look at them in the library - look at all associated information- and don't see anything that says "this item is in these collections:xxx" Help! Thanks.
  • control key worked like a charm, thanks! This should be better documented, I think, but I really appreciate your prompt response.
  • I agree - this should be better documented. But - I face a problem. I have a longer list of collections than is visible. So with the option key held down, I move the cursor to scroll down through the collections - but doing so renders the option key ineffective. The collections are no longer highlighted... My mistake or a bug?
  • A bug, but not necessarily one that we can fix. If you have a scroll wheel (or possibly the laptop trackpad equivalent, though I didn't try that), you can position the mouse over the collections list, press the key, and then scroll up and down. On OS X, at least, the collections stay highlighted.
  • Hmmmmmm - don't have a scroll wheel & not sure what the laptop trackpad equivalent might be (Got a MacBook Pro). Using OS10.5. Tried a number of options. It works in one window or the other, but when I move between them, I lose it.... Nonetheless - very impressed with the software in my first 24 hours.... I'm converted.
  • @Susan
    I'm always interested in improving documentation -
    any specific suggestions? It shows up in any relevant searches I believe.
    It's part of the knowledge base?
    Any additional links we should put in?

I don't know how often you use this, but if you use the whole window view of zotero, do you still not see all your collections? (symbol on the top right of the zotero pane)
  • don't have a scroll wheel & not sure what the laptop trackpad equivalent might be (Got a MacBook Pro)
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3448

(And I just checked—it does work without cancelling the highlight.)
  • The first place i went to was the Collections page of the Start info. That would seem to be the obvious place to include it?

Hadn't found the fullscreen button. It works good for now. But I'm undertaking a complex systematic literature review & so building a number of sub-collections and sub-sub... By tomorrow I'll be off the screen....

Collections seems to work better for me than tags, coz i can group them. But I think i'm going to have to cross-reference with tags for the time-being until I've got my system working.... If there's anything i'm missing do let me know... I
  • OK - I've added this to the Collection Start page. Thanks for the input.
    http://www.zotero.org/support/collections

As an additional tool for organizing, have you found the "related" tab in the right pane?
  • Re the link to Apple - thank you. Now i have to practice some greater manual dexterity than I am accustomed to! Oh joy.

If you are putting instructions into the page, I believe the cursor has to be positioned over the collections window rather than over the library window in order for the two-finger scrolling to work....

But yes - it works... Thank you!
  • edited September 21, 2009
    Is it just me, or has this been disabled in the latest version (I'm on a mac)?
  • no it hasn't - which OS are you on? What key are you trying?
  • I'm on snow leopard. I press the option key, as always, but collections are not highlighted in yellow. The key is doing something; when the item belongs in a subcollection, the higher level collection opens (as before), in order to show me the subcollection. But the subcollection itself is not highlighted. Make sense?
  • edited September 21, 2009
    The highlighting is broken in the new Mac interface. We'll fix it for the next build.
  • Thanks for letting me know it's not just me. Looking forward to the fix, but the temporary loss of highlighting was a small price to pay for the nice redesign. Great work. Thanks.
  • I just found out that the the highlighting doens't work, when you use the "AnyColor" plug in for firefox changing the color and layout of you firefox. The highlighting just doens't appear (might be just not visible). This is at least the case for Windows.
    It's probably not that important, just wanted to let you know.