Zotero problems, unresponsive
Dear Zotero colleagues, I am having increasing problems with Zotero. I am working on a (rather urgent) Word document (2016 version of Word, fully updated, on Windows 10 pc, fully updated). in the past week or so I have started to have problems, mostly with Zotero not responding when I try to insert or edit a citation through the Word plug-in. Normally, Zotero does not respond. Also, I am now getting a problem of Zotero stand alone programme become unresponsive. Also, I get error messages, including that the template (or something similar) is not available. I have tried various things from the support pages including checking that the .dotm file is in the right place, and also moving my files from Onedrive for business to the hard drive of the computor, and the problems remain. I have tried unistalling/reinstalling Zotero, and shutting Word and Zotero down and restarting the computer, which sometimes seems to help, but then it will start being unresponsive again very soon. Also, when I try to restart Zotero after closing it down I also get a message saying that Zotero is still running and needs to close, even though it doesn't seem to be running. Zotero has become basically unusable at the moment, and I'd be very glad for your help. Thank you.
1) I have word add-in and Zotero stand alone open, I try to insert a citation by pressing the 'Add/Edit Citation' button in Word.
2) the citation box does not appear, none of the other buttons in Zotero plug-in for Word work
3) when i go back to Zotero standalone the programme does not respond to anything, so I can't move around the collections/subcollections, none of the buttons like 'File', 'Edit', 'tools' etc. work, and I can't close it using the 'x' box.
4) I close it by right clicking on the icon in the task bar.
5) when I try to restart it, I get an error message saying Zotero is still open (or working, something like that), and needs to close, I click a button to close it and then it starts (and the same process happens again).
6) I'm needing to work on a doc urgently, so tried some other things last night after I posted the first entry in the forum
7) I tried downloading Libreoffice, and couldn't get Zotero to work there either (I had errors relating to Java Runtime Enviroment, installed Java, the plug-in appeared, but wouldn't respond), uninstalled Libreoffice
8) I noticed that in the standalone programme, it said that Word add-in was not installed, even though it was
9) I went to the Word folder with the add-in, and deleted the .dotm file there (I think that's what is is called?), uninstalled Zotero, downloaded Zotero again, and reinstalled
10) now the standalone programme says the Word add-in is installed, and it seems to work okay so far today
11) other errors have appeared before I did step 9 last night, such as when I open a Word doc I get a message saying it cannot find the template (I think), something to do with the .dotm file (sorry, can't quite remember the details) - I tried the instructions on the website about trying to make sure the file was in the start-up folder, i'm now not getting this after I deleted that file and reinstalled Zotero.
I hope this is of some help. Apologies if I'm not very clear about the technicalities, do ask if you need me to clarify something. I'll monitor the situation to see if the problem re-occurs.