Style Request: Harvard Theological Review, harvard style

Hi all,

I would be grateful for any help that anyone can lend. I *attempted* changing the csl code, but I don't know enough about the language or syntax to do so. (the maining thing is moving certain items with the same set of parenthesis that contains publisher's information).

I'm looking to ensure an article matches the guidelines for the journal, Harvard Theological Review.

They have harvard style format for citations and bibliography. Unfortunately, none of styles in the repository match what i need.
The style generally follows the society of biblical literature style with some distinct changes. The biggest one being encapsulating the editor and translator names within the same set of parentheses that contains the publisher's info. The sequence is below:

For Books, Full Reference Style:
Author Full Name, Title (editor; translator; number of volumes; edition; series; city: publisher, date) page number or page range.
*Note: Pace SBL, no comma follows the parentheses.

For Books, Shortened Reference Style: Last Name, Shortened Title, page number or page range.

For Journal Articles Full Reference Style:
Author Full Name, “Article Title,” Abbreviated Journal Title volume (year) complete page range, at page number or page range. Note: Do not include the month or season or the issue number (SBL § 7.2.23, 31). *Pace SBL, no colon follows the parentheses.

For Journal Articles Shortened Reference Style:
Last Name, “Shortened Title,” page number or page range.

Other things to note:

1. Journal names are abbreviated according the society of biblical literature handbook. If the name does not exist, then the full name is used.
2. If the journal name is abbreviated, the abbreviated name is also in italics.

One can get all the nitty gritty details of the style at the following link.
https://hds.harvard.edu/files/hds/files/htr_style_sheet-2014-03-31-pdf.pdf

pgs 15-18 have example citations that illuminate the style

Thank you!
  • Can you format the two citations requested here according to the style?
    https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/wiki/Requesting-Styles

And also link to a freely available article for the journal?
  • We don't need the citations -- the starting point would obviously be SBL -- but the sample article and journal ISSN would be great.
  • edited October 5, 2019
    Adam, bwiernik
    Thanks for the prompt response. (at the very end are some more comments from me)

The ISSN number is:
    0017-8160 (Print)
    1475-4517 (Online)

In-Text Citation
    John L. Campbell and Ove K. Pedersen, “The varieties of capitalism and hybrid success,” Comparative Political Studies 40 (2010) 307-332, at 311.

Isabela Mares, “Firms and the welfare state: When, why, and how does social policy matter to employers?,” in Varieties of capitalism: The institutional foundations of comparative advantage (eds. Peter A. Hall and David Soskice; New York.: Oxford University Press, 2001) 184-213, at 202.

Note; no bibliographical format is explicitly stated in the HTR (Harvard Theological Review)style Manual but it says if it doesn’t talk about it, use the SBL (Society of Biblical Literature) formatting
    Below is the bibliography in SBL formatting:

Campbell, John L., and Ove K. Pedersen. “The Varieties of Capitalism and Hybrid Success: Denmark in the Global Economy.” Comparative Political Studies 40.3 (2007): 307–32.

Mares, Isabela. “Firms and the Welfare State: When, Why, and How Does Social Policy Matter to Employers?” Varieties of Capitalism. The Institutional Foundations of Comparative Advantage. Edited by Peter A. Hall and David Soskice. New York: Oxford University Press, 2001.

Below is a link to an article.
    https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/harvard-theological-review/article/son-of-an-israelite-woman-and-an-egyptian-manjesus-as-the-blasphemer-lev-241023-an-antigospel-polemic-in-the-zohar/70516303DAB1ADC704FE99D15C4E3ABF/core-reader
    The article seems to get the order of the first and last name switched, i.e. it should be first name first, then followed by the last name, when citing in footnotes.
    Otherwise, it seems correct to me.

A few comments:
    For journals, the HTR ( harvard theological review) does not list the issue number but it does list the volume number in its footnote. (hence the issue number is missing in the above footnote).

For modern multivolume works, one should place a colon between the volume number and page number (note: the volume number appears outside the parenthesis, while the number of volumes appears within the parenthesis)

Adolf Harnack, History of Dogma (trans. Neil Buchanan; 7 vols.; Boston: Little, Brown & Co., 1896–1905) 2:123–25.

I did some more searching, Melbourne School of Theology style seems to be the closest (at least for books but it gets close to the format; for journal articles, it’s incorrect)

For books, they seem to have the correct placement of things except the last comma they use to separate the cited page numbers from the parenthetical information—that should not be there.

The HTR specifies no biographical format and says to default to SBL (society of biblical literature) format if the style manual is silent on a particular style issue. If the SBL is also silent on that same issue, then it says to default to the Chicago style.