Conditional for a specific value of a variable

I'm getting pretty far with my .csl, but I'm stuck on a requirement that if the publisher or author is a particular institutio, then I need to include the report number in the bibliographic citation.

I understand how to use conditionals, but I can't figure out if it's possible to have the conditional test for a particular value in the [publisher] variable.

Can it be done?

The idea is to add some condionals to the <layout> block

I'm pasting my code here FWIW:

http://pastebin.ca/1497821
  • Testing for particular variable values is not supported in CSL. A report number would only be printed if the data is available; you are wanting, in some cases but not all, to avoid printing it when it is available?
  • Yes. I only want it printed if the report comes from a particular institution (in this case, the United Nations).
  • Do you have a link to the style guide?
  • Why would you suppress a publisher if not the UN?
  • edited July 17, 2009
    I think the aim is to handle UN document numbers, which may have different formatting requirements (position, surrounding punctuation) from a mere document number.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Document_Codes

It's a large and specialzed category of content, and because these numbers have a well defined syntax, giving them a separate field might make sense. But I somehow think that idea won't prove very popular.

(edited)
  • edited July 17, 2009
    fbennett is right. UN style requires that we use the document number (the "signature") when citing (as well as the sale number).
    example:
    Bustillo, Inés y José Antonio Ocampo (2003), “Asimetrías y cooperación en el Área de Libre Comercio de las Américas”, serie Informes y estudios especiales, N° 13 (LC/L.1904-P), Santiago de Chile, Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL), mayo. Publicación de las Naciones Unidas, N° de venta: S.03.II.G.63.

This makes it awkward as it is a specialized rule for UN docs. I suppose I try to do a conditional on the existance of both numbers.

Is there a way to create another field or a new document type? Something I can use a conditional for?
  • edited July 17, 2009
    noksagt: It's on the intranet. I have the html and I can send it to you if you would like. It's in spanish though.

I'll post the relevant instruction:

c) Título completo del documento

· En español: todos los títulos en español se escriben con minúsculas, excepto la inicial de la primera palabra; las principales excepciones a esta regla son los nombres propios y los títulos oficiales de conferencias de las Naciones Unidas.

DANE (Departamento Administrativo Nacional de Estadística) (1978), Inversión extranjera en la industria manufacturera colombiana, Bogotá, D.C.

Naciones Unidas (1993), Informe de la Conferencia de las Naciones Unidas sobre Medio Ambiente y el Desarrollo (A/CONF.151/26/Rev.1), Nueva York, Publicación de las Naciones Unidas, Nº de venta: S.93.I.8.

e) Signatura

En todas las referencias a documentos de la CEPAL, de las Naciones Unidas y de organismos del sistema se debe indicar la signatura, sigla que identifica las publicaciones de la organización. La signatura se coloca entre paréntesis después del título de la publicación o del número de la serie correspondiente.

Acuña, Guillermo (2000), Marcos regulatorios e institucionales ambientales de América Latina y el Caribe en el contexto del proceso de reformas macroeconómicas: 1980-1990 (LC/R.2023), Santiago de Chile, Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL).

Naciones Unidas (1999), World Population Prospects. The 1998 Revision. Comprehensive Tables (ST/ESA/SER.A/177), Nueva York, Departamento de Información Económica y Social, División de Población. Publicación de las Naciones Unidas, Nº de venta: E.99.XIII.9.

h) Número de venta (publicaciones de las Naciones Unidas)

En las referencias a documentos de la CEPAL, de las Naciones Unidas y de sus organismos, hay que incluir la signatura, indicar que se trata de una publicación de las Naciones Unidas e incluir el número de venta.

Bustillo, Inés y José Antonio Ocampo (2003), “Asimetrías y cooperación en el Área de Libre Comercio de las Américas”, serie Informes y estudios especiales, N° 13 (LC/L.1904-P), Santiago de Chile, Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL), mayo. Publicación de las Naciones Unidas, N° de venta: S.03.II.G.63.

UNCTAD (Conferencia de las Naciones Unidas sobre Comercio y Desarrollo) (2000), World Investment Report, 2000 (UNCTAD/WIR), Ginebra. Publicación de las Naciones Unidas, Nº de venta: E.00.II.D.20.
  • edited July 17, 2009
    So your problem isn't the publisher, it's what you call the "sale number"? What exactly is that? Is it sort of like an ISBN or UPC, but for UN docs?

Also, what "system" does the phrase "organismos del sistema" refer to? Those that are in the UN?
  • From the wikipedia page linked above:
    A definitive list of United Nations documentation symbols is published and periodically updated by the United Nations Library.[1] With the addition of new bodies and functions, the documentation scheme evolves to keep pace.[2]
    [1] United Nations Document Series Symbols, 1946-1996. New York, UN, 1998. Document ST/LIB/SER.B/5/Rev. 5. Sales No.: 98.I.6. Bibliographical Series/Dag Hammarskjöld Library; No. 5/Rev.5. Access from Document Symbols : United Nations Documentation (UN).

[2] UN Documentation : Research Guide : Detailed Table of Contents : United Nations. Dag Hammarskjöld Library
  • bdarcus:

--"So your problem isn't the publisher, it's what you call the "sale number"? What exactly is that? Is it sort of like an ISBN or UPC, but for UN docs?"

It's actually both. The publisher would determine if I would use both the "signature" document number and the "sale number". The only problem is that this is a unique structure for UN documents, so unless I have a way to test for a value inside a field, or to have a new field for UN docs, I'm out of luck.

--Also, what "system" does the phrase "organismos del sistema" refer to? Those that are in the UN?

Yes. The UN is composed of many "parts". http://www.un.org/en/aboutun/structure/index.shtml

When we quote any document prodoced by any of the UN parts, we have to format it this way.