Symposium Presentation APA 6

Well, Zotero, you have finally stumped me. I have just lost 1.5 hours of valuable dissertation time trying to figure out/ "trick" Zotero to create a proper symposium reference and it is not working. Not even close. The problem has been flagged here since 2009. Please, please, please help!!

APA 6th (p.207)
Muelbauer, J. (2007, September). Housing, credit, and consumer expenditure. In S. C. Ludvigson (Chair), Housing and consumer behavior (title in italics). Symposium conducted at the meeting of the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, Jackson Hole, WY.
  • As the old posts point out, it's just not possible -- but while inconvenient, I guess I don't see why this is such a huge issue?
    Just make a note/flag it and fix it when you're done. There's some chance we'll cover this in future versions, but it will always be the case that there are some item types that Zotero can't properly display either generally or in a particular citation style.
  • edited September 15, 2019
    No, it actually is possible. Enter the symposium information in Extra like this:

Container title: Title of symposium
    Container author: Last (Chair) || First A.

The only thing that Zotero won’t do is say “conducted” rather than “presented”. I suggest just ignoring that.
  • Thank you @bwiernik !! I can totally look over the "presented" rather than "conducted"
  • @bwiernik Any idea if there is a work around to get Zotero to add the month to the date when using "Conference Papers"?

By adding "Symposium conducted at the meeting of..., Philadelphia, PA" under the publisher field, it is added to the right spot in the reference, except the month is missing from the reference date. Citation comes out without month as well.

If, instead, I use "Presentation" and add the same line to "Type", the reference comes out perfect and the month is added to the date BUT then the citation adds the first initial of the presenter's given name. Even in a document with just that one reference in it. Nothing else by that author.

Any ideas?

Thx!!
  • Don’t use Conference Paper for presentations. That is for published proceedings, which don’t get month and day per APA.

That thing with the initials should be the case—it sounds like the item is entered wrong in your Zotero library.