Is it absolutely necessary to download desktop Zotero?

A student has only a Chromebook which will not let her download software. I've looked at the Zotero browser connector to see if there's a place to put in your zotero ID and password but can't find anything. Is it possible, or will she just have to use a computer that has the software downloaded?

• You can authenticate the connector with Zotero (under General--> save to Zotero --> Authorize; this will take you to the Zotero website to authenticate), but functionality is very limited, so likely she'll need to download it. FWIW, you can find instructions on how to install and use Zotero on Chromebooks (based on their ability to run linux apps) on these forums.
  • Ah thanks! Can you briefly explain how the functionality is limited? Thanks so much for your help!
  • Lots of things don't exist at all, others take much longer. E.g. no ability to move items between personal library or group or even save to a group using the connector, no word processor integration, no colored tags, several export formats aren't available, citation styles are limited, no advanced search...
  • edited September 14, 2019
    If the chromebook is not IT-managed (locked-down) and has Crostini support (https://www.reddit.com/r/Crostini/wiki/getstarted/crostini-enabled-devices), desktop Zotero can be installed on it. I have not tried it myself (I do not own a chromebook) but I've seen multiple mentions of it on this forum including instructions on how to do it.