Couldn't upgrade database (error #1760186086)

tried to upgrade to 2.0b6 from 1.0.10 but consistently get this error.

It told me to post here. So I am! What happens next? :-)
  • edited July 16, 2009
    Hmmm... maybe I should provide some more detail?

mac os x leopard. Firefox 3.0.11. the error message is "Upgrading the Zotero database failed" and there is an error log (some not zotero related). See below.

Report ID for this log is 1887891309

=========
    [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x8052000b (NS_ERROR_FILE_CORRUPTED) [mozIStorageConnection.executeSimpleSQL]" nsresult: "0x8052000b (NS_ERROR_FILE_CORRUPTED)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/db.js :: anonymous :: line 140" data: no]

<snip>

] [ERROR: database disk image is malformed]
    ===============
  • I've excerpted the relevant lines above. Your database is corrupted, most likely from prior use in Firefox 2, which had database corruption problems. Run your database through the DB Repair Tool prior to upgrading.
  • thank you for the prompt response. I've run the db through the repair tool and it found the corruption.

Some more detail for debugging:
    - I originally just wanted to import an RIS file when the database started reporting corruption. So I tried upgrading zotero to 2, then tried upgrading firefox to 3.5.
    - I reverted to firefox 3.0.11 and zotero 1.0.10 and restored a backed up version of the sqlite database from three days ago (using Dropbox). Now even attempting to add a new article (from sage publications) resulted in a warning that the database is corrupt.
    - Finally posted in this thread.
    - Reverted to 3.0.11 and 1.0.10, and repaired the database as you suggested
    - Made a copy of the repaired sqlite and placed it in the zotero folder and started firefox. Adding and deleting records now worked fine. So did importing an RIS file. Success! My 1066 references are safe once again.

For any of you reading this cautionary tale, make a backup. now. Subscribe to dropbox. they give you a couple of gig for free, and it works automatically in the background to keep versions of your sqlite file for at least the past 30 days.

If I try to upgrade to 3.5 and Zotero 2, I will post here if there are any remaining issues.

Thank you very much Dan, you just saved my bacon!

-A
  • Had you previously used this database with Firefox 2? If so, that's most likely where your corruption came from. Later actions might trigger it, but there are no known database corruption issues in Firefox 3.0 and later (though there could still be disk errors or filesystem corruption unrelated to Firefox/Zotero).