Zotero Connector for Chrome adds authors wrong with Royal Society Publications

I am using Zotero Connector for Chrome to add this Royal Society paper

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/full/10.1098/rstb.2017.0308

the item is added to my library but the author's last name and first name are merged

then "Erika Berenguer" is the first author last name and no first name is added whereas it should be "Berenguer" last name "Erika" first name, and the same happens for all authors.

If added the same paper with the doi the names are perfect.

• edited August 27, 2019
    See also the valuable summary of my comments by @bwiernik below.

The RIS export provided by the publisher is formatted improperly (name order, omitted commas):

AU - Erika Berenguer
    AU - Malhi Yadvinder
    AU - Brando Paulo
    AU - Cardoso Nunes Cordeiro Amanda

The correct pattern should be:

AU - Berenguer, Erika

The embedded metadata in the article webpage header is similarly malformed:
    meta name="dc.Creator" content="Erika Berenguer"><meta name="dc.Creator" content="Yadvinder Malhi"><meta name="dc.Creator" content="Paulo Brando"><meta name="dc.Creator" content="Amanda Cardoso Nunes Cordeiro"><meta name="dc.Creator" content="Joice Ferreira"><meta name="dc.Creator" content="Filipe França">

It will be difficult if not impossible for Zotero to adjust for this (without using a combination of doi metadata and getting the abstract from the publisher site) because parsing authors with both multiple given-names and multiple family-names [Amanda Cardoso Nunes Cordeiro] cannot be reliably automated.

Long-term solution is to write to the journal editor and ask that this be fixed at the source. I have commented to the journal publisher about this in the past -- more complaints may finally result in action. For more than a year, the publisher's metadata available to bibliographic databases (PubMed, Web of Science, etc.) by the publisher's private FTP also had this problem. That was finally repaired after threats to stop indexing the journals. Thus, complaints will not be received by people unaware of the issue.

I handle the immediate problem this way: When viewing the abstract page on the journal website I copy the doi string and paste it into the Zotero magic wand field. This downloads the correct metadata. I then copy the abstract and paste it to the Zotero abstract field.

-edits to make my prose more clear
  • To summarize DWL-SDCA, the website is providing improperly formatted data, so you should contact the journal’a technical support to let them know. You can link to the post above to describe the problem.
  • Fine thanks!, I sent a mail to the webmaster.