problem in google doc

Hello,

I can use Zotero in Word but get an error when trying to cite in Google Docs.
"error this file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action..."

Also, when I click on different options e.g. "Help - Support and Documentation" directly in Zotero, I am getting the same error.

I would be very glad about a suggestion.

Debug ID D2059772187

Thank you very much
  • Also, when I click on different options e.g. "Help - Support and Documentation" directly in Zotero, I am getting the same error.
    You're saying when you click on Help → Support and Documentation, a dialog with this error pops up within Zotero?
    launchWithURI() not supported -- trying fallback executable
    [JavaScript Error: "NS_ERROR_FAILURE: Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsILocalFile.initWithPath]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/zotero.js" line: 1087}]
    this.launchURL@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/zotero.js:1087:7
    ZoteroPane</this.launchURL@chrome://zotero/content/zoteroPane.js:4185:12
    ZoteroPane</this.loadURI@chrome://zotero/content/zoteroPane.js:3325:9
    ZoteroStandalone</this.openHelp@chrome://zotero/content/standalone/standalone.js:224:9
    oncommand@chrome://zotero/content/standalone/standalone.xul:1:1
    Is this a work computer? Are there security restrictions in place? All that menu option does is open a URL in your system's default web browser, so if that's failing, something is very wrong.
  • Thank you so much for answering! Yes, it is a work computer and you are right, when I paste the URL, it is failing...
  • What do you mean by "when I paste the URL"? I was referring to selecting Help → Support and Documentation, not pasting anything.

I'm still not sure how this would be related to Google Docs, though. Can you provide a Debug ID from Zotero for clicking Add/Edit Citation in Google Docs, assuming that doesn't work? There's no sign of that in your above Debug ID.
  • Thank you again for the answer! Sorry, I thought I mentioned it before:
    When I try to add a citation in google docs, I get the message: "Zotero experienced an error updating your document. Would you like to view troubleshooting instructions?"
    Yes
    Error in Zotero:"This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action...."

Potentially I am just doing an idiotic mistake...

Thank you again!

This is the report ID: 150230851

Debug ID: D1912275372
  • Ah, OK. The troubleshooting instructions are available here:

https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/debugging_broken_documents

You can follow those to steps to fix the original problem.

(The problem opening webpages is likely due to some security restriction your IT department put in place, but that doesn't have anything to do with the Google Docs plugin, so we can ignore that for now.)