Undo Zotfile changes

Hello,

I have recently purchased Zotero Storage as I would like to have the attached pdfs available online (in a browser). However I had previously renamed and moved files with ZotFile to a cloud location, and as such those attachments are not synced with the Zotero server.

Any idea what I could do? ideally, I would like to keep files in the ZotFile created location, as they are nicely organized, but would not mind moving the attachments back to the Zotero Data\profile\Storage folder as long as I could do this automatically.

Thank you for any suggestions!
  • A feature to move linked files back to stored files is on our to-do list, but I'm afraid it's not yet available.

In the meantime, you can of course use stored files for new files going forward.
  • Thank you for your answer.

Would it be possible to export the entire library, wipe everything, and then import that library?
  • I've just pushed out a new Zotero beta that includes this feature as File → Manage Attachments → "Convert Linked Files to Stored Files…". It will copy or move linked files back to the Zotero data directory, from which they'll sync.

If you want to test this out, you should temporarily disable auto-sync and make a backup of your Zotero data directory (and, if you use the "Delete original files after storing" option, your PDF directory) before trying it, and then closely review the converted files before turning syncing back on. Let us know if you run into any problems.
  • This is great news, but I don't know if I can test the feature out, as I have been using the portable version of Zotero from the start. If it is possible, please let me know. Thank you!