Zotero crashing/closing instantly

edited August 4, 2019
I've had a recurring problem where Zotero crashes instantly, with no error window or report afterwards.

Load Zotero standalone > mouse to menus (e.g.)> instant shutdown, with no freezing or error message. The most reliable way of triggering a crash is to perform an action in the first few seconds of Zotero having loaded; and sometimes it will open then crash instantly, with no user input required. Other times Zotero will run happily for a long time, then crash while doing something innocuous. The problem briefly disappeared when I restarted Windows, then returned after a few minutes.

Laptop is new, fast, and has lots of free space with no other problems of this kind. Running Windows 10 with Kaspersky AV / Comodo Firewall. Disabling AV+firewall had no effect. Clean re-installation of Zotero had no effect.

I tried the instructions on the Reporting Startup Errors page (https://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_problems#reporting_startup_errors), including running the Debug Console from cmd, and each time Zotero insta-crashes before anything can be done.

ETA: Not sure if relevant, but the last time I managed to get it to work, the debug console showed a Javascript error when trying to upload files, as my storage is full.
  • Does this happen with auto-sync disabled?
  • That would be preferences > sync automatically, right? Just disable it, problem still occurs.
  • How about if you disable "Sync full-text content" as well?

Basically, a crash where Zotero completely closes without any error message points to either runaway memory usage — which is unlikely unless your library is extremely large or you're trying to import a very large file — or a conflict with something on your computer.

Are you able to reproduce this with an empty data directory? That is, if you close Zotero, rename the Zotero data directory to "Zotero2", and restart Zotero, can you get it to crash with an empty library? (Don't sync while you're testing the empty library to avoid pulling down all your data.)