Problems starting Zotero on Ubuntu 18.04 after installing JDK

I've been using Zotero for over a year and I really love it. So, first, thank you all for all your efforts producing and supporting Zotero.

Problem: Zotero (5.0.72) seems not to start when launched from Dash on Ubuntu 18.04 (and I know of no other way to start it).

I did get Zotero working this morning (linking the zotero.desktop file, etc.) on a fairly freshly setup OS. However, to get the LibreOffice extension to work, I had to install the JDK. I finally got the Zotero toolbar to show up in LibreOffice and things looked good.

When I tried to restart Zotero, nothing happened. It's as if I never tried to start it (no messages, no UI of any sort, etc.). I tried again to launch it, still nothing. I tried a few more times and realized I was not getting anywhere.

I logged out, logged back in and tried again. Nothing.

I restarted my computer and tried again. Nothing.

I tried looking for a log file which might give me some hint but could not find anything within the app folder.

I've copied the Zotero data folder from an older hard drive and the one time I got Zotero to run this morning, I could see lots and lots of items, as I expected. So, I assume the database is OK. Every time I've used Zotero in the past, it starts within 1-2 seconds and works great. However, now I am having more challenges.

I am now at a loss on how to proceed in my troubleshooting efforts.

My Zotero app folder is in ~/apps/Zotero/
My Zotero data folder is in ~/Zotero/

In general, everything on my computer (LibreOffice, etc.) is updated to the latest version.

Any advice?
  • Other than the LibreOffice plugin, Zotero doesn't have anything to do with Java, so there's no reason those things should be related.

What happens if you start Zotero from the command line with ./zotero -ZoteroDebugText -jsconsole?
  • Interesting. Zotero does launch that way (thanks!). However, in LibreOffice the Zotero toolbar buttons are now using text rather than icons, but that's a pretty minor issue. The LibreOffice integration does work (I can search for and add references).

However, I get an error console which has, as the first item, "Could not read 'file:///home/john/apps/Zotero/extensions/zoteroOpenOfficeIntegration@zotero.org/components/zoteroIntegration.xpt'."

I also get three errors:
    First:
    Timestamp: 08/02/2019 10:55:59 AM
    Error: TypeError: this.selection is undefined
    Source File: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/itemTreeView.js
    Line: 2024

Second:
    Timestamp: 08/02/2019 10:56:09 AM
    Error: Style with ID http://www.zotero.org/styles/emerald-harvard already loaded from emerald-harvard.csl
    Source File: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/style.js
    Line: 178

Third:
    Timestamp: 08/02/2019 10:56:12 AM
    Error: Style with ID http://www.zotero.org/styles/emerald-harvard already loaded from emerald-harvard.csl
    Source File: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/style.js
    Line: 178

There are also four warnings.
    First:
    Timestamp: 08/02/2019 10:55:49 AM
    Warning: unreachable code after return statement
    Source File: resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://zotero/bluebird/util.js
    Line: 201, Column: 4
    Source Code:
    eval(obj);

Second:
    Warning: unreachable code after return statement
    Source File: resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://zotero/bluebird/util.js
    Line: 201, Column: 4
    Source Code:
    eval(obj);

Third:
    Warning: Unknown property ‘user-select’. Declaration dropped.
    Source File: chrome://zotero/skin/overlay.css
    Line: 647, Column: 12
    Source Code:
    user-select: text;

Fourth:
    Timestamp: 08/02/2019 10:55:58 AM
    Warning: Key event not available on some keyboard layouts: key=“i” modifiers=“accel shift alt” id=“key_importFromClipboard”
    Source File: chrome://zotero/content/standalone/standalone.xul
    Line: 0

Does this give you any insights?
  • Does it work with just ./zotero?

For the text buttons in LO, assuming you're already running an up-to-date LO version, you may need to reset your LO profile directory and reinstall the plugin from the Cite pane of the preferences.
  • I tried running just ./zotero and it did work.

Next, I setup a new menu (Dash) entry using MenuLibre and everything seems to be working now. I'll sort out the LO issue. I've seen other forum entries on that before so I feel confident it will be fine.

Thanks a million for your help!

So, I guess I don't need to worry about all those errors (like the one with zoteroOpenOfficeIntegration@zotero.org/components/zoteroIntegration.xpt)?