suggestions on tags: 1. filters according to selected collections 2. "related tags"

Hi there,
I found that automatic tagging option useful in revealing some specific topic. However, when one has too many references in the same library, especially when some collections have different topics, the automatic taggings become too many, and it would become very inconvenient to find the relevant tags.

If one can use filters to choose the tags displayed according to the collections we select, then it would become much more manageable.

Also, it would be great if one could be able to manually associate some tags with similar meaning, so that when one searches one of the tags, the others would also show up.

I give my best wishes to zotero to become better and better!
  • The first one already exists. Click on the menu button in the bottom right corner of the tags pane (on the left) and uncheck the option to Show All Tags in Library.
  • Hi Bwiernik,
    thanks for your reply and I hadn't notice this function before, which solves the most part of my request. However, it seems that under this mode, it can only display the tags within the current collection ("folder icon on the left pane"); it can't optionally display those in its subcollections. This would make me hesitate when I want to create subcollections to make the references more organized.

Besides, I notice that we can't select multiple collections, but only one collection ("folder"); hence we can't display those tags for selected multiple collections. In this case, we can choose which collections (e.g., which subcollections of a given collection ) to be used as the source of tags. This function may not be required by many people though.

For the subcollection issue, a simple option like "Show All Tags in all subcollections"is sufficent; If the second is needed, it seems that we need to first be able to select multiple collections on the left pane, which is not yet possible; then, all we need is another option "Show ALL tags in selected collections". It gives people more flexibility, though this demand may not be that essential.

Anyway, thanks for your helpful information, and I hope that further flexibility on the filters of tags can be explored.

• Hi dstillman,
    thanks a lot for your reply. The "Recursive Collections" is indeed quite helpful for solving my problem. Even though we can't select different subcollections, the existing feature is more or less sufficient with proper design of the structure I store the references.

for the second item, I found "you can merge tags by renaming one to have the same name as the other." Even though this does not solve my original question, but it is helpful at least in some situations. Thanks again!