Large document, bibliography failing to populate

I am having difficulty getting a bibliography to populate. This is for a book manuscript that I have worked on previously in single chapters. Each chapter, in its own separate word document, had its own bibliography. Now I'm at the point of combining all of the chapters together into a single world file with functional citations and a working bibliography. With 1000+ references, this has been no easy task. I have finally managed to combine each of the chapters into a single word document and all seems to be working fine in terms of the numbering, the editing, and the generating new citations. Of course, things are fairly slow, but I understand from this forum that is to be expected for files of this size. Now, however, I cannot get the bibliography to populate. The document works for 20+ minutes and then sends me an error message saying "Zotero encountered an error" and asking if I would like to look at Zotero's trouble shooting materials. I have followed all recommendations on this site about duplicating files, immediately setting new document preferences, and the like. And yet, I am still encountering this issue. Please advise how to fix this problem - the idea of manually typing a bibliography that will necessary be modified through the review process frankly defeats the purpose of using zotero.
Thank you.