preview in-text citation

Hi, I have to use a style that uses numbers as in-text citation. However, that makes it really difficult to check the individual citations that I have already used before compiling the bibliography and while I'm still working on the text. Is there a way on clicking on the in-text citation and see the reference or a preview of the formatted reference? All help appreciated. Thanks.
  • If you click edit citation (or use the keyboard shortcut for it), that'd show up in author-date format. Would that work?
  • Not really, it claims that the citation needs to be formatted before I can use that feature.
  • What's the exact wording you're getting? That doesn't sound right. You're using the word processor add-on to insert citations, right?
  • It seems to be something from Endnote X7, which I have got on my computer, but I've been using this document only with my Zotero library. Do I need to install something else from Zotero? Basically, I go to Edit Citations, and it doesn't allow me to do anything other than click on "More", and there it comes "Endnote X7" "This document does not contain any editable citations. Citations must be formatted to use the edit citations tool." But in the Word Document, I'm definitely in Zotero. What is going on?
  • Yes, I'm using the word processor add-on to insert citations. Did it not install properly? Everything else seem to be working on it.
  • It sounds like you're clicking Endnote's edit citation button. You'd want to use Zotero's Add/Edit Citation button in the Zotero ribbon in Word; that would be the same button you use to insert citations.
  • Run me through _exactly_ how you're inserting citations in the Word document.
  • In the Word document, under Zotero, Add/ edit Citation, classic view.
  • OK, and when you click the same button again with a citation selected, you should see the items cited, don't you?
  • When I click on it, it gives me a reference. But it gives me the same reference when I then click on the other citations, which are different when I compile the bibliography. So I click on any one the first time, and it gives me that citation. I click on the next citation, or any other in the document, but it still gives me the reference for the first one, so not even sure that that reference is right. ??
  • Hi, I'm still having this problem and don't know how to resolve it. Any response?
  • It sounds like you haven’t closed the window between clicking on different references. First edit one citation like you have done, check it, then close that window either by typing Escape or Enter. If you move to a different citation and click on Edit Citation while the window is still open, Zotero just re-focuses on the existing window.
  • Many thanks for your very helpful comments. Yes, that was the issue, so thanks. But I do seem to still have problems with mainly multiple citations; where instead of showing the reference details it reveals an empty zotero field and only wants to add new ones, and then deletes the existing one (I recover it with "undo"). It doesn't happen with all the multiple references, so perhaps it's just a glitch with individual ones? Any other useful suggestions about this?
  • Just to check, in the Zotero tab in Word, do you have one Add/Edit Citation button or two separate Add Citation and Edit Citation buttons?

If you have one button, are you able to reproduce it consistently? If so, can you cut down your document to just a citation that consistently is replaced, rather than edited, and post it to Dropbox or similar and give a link here?