Snapshot doesn't show up with citation

I am a new user of Zotero. I have the standalone for Mac 5.0.70. I have browser extensions installed for Safari and Firefox. I have enabled "Automatically take snapshots when creating items from web pages." Yet, when I use the connector to cite a webpage, it saves to my library but as far as I can tell there is no snapshot. The citation has no arrow to the side of it, indicating an attachment or note. If I click the citation, it takes me to the active web page. If I understand how this is supposed to work, the snapshot should be saved as a 'child" which I think would make the main citation have a rotating arrow to the side, and rotating that arrow would reveal the snapshot beneath the citation so that I could click on that sub citation and see the webpage in a browser even when I'm not connected to internet. Right clicking on the citation only gives me the option to view online, which won't be helpful if the page changes or disappears. Am I doing something wrong or do I not understand how this works?
  • What URL?

Does the same thing happen if you say, say, this page?
  • Well, thank you for asking the essential question! this forum page does show up with a snapshot. I was trying to save pages from the New York Times, and none of them show up with snapshots. I've just tried pages from Washington Post and LA Times, and they do show up with snapshots. So NYT must be doing something to block this. Since I clip a lot from the NYT, I'm saving a pdf of the article and then attaching that, but it's not as convenient. If you have any insight as to why I can't save snapshots from the NYT, or a smoother workaround, I will appreciate it. Thanks so much for your help!
  • Some of the code on NYT pages breaks snapshots, so we've disabled those snapshots for now. (This problem isn't limited to Zotero — you can see that things don't work properly if you try to save a complete webpage for a NYT article from Firefox or Chrome.)

We're planning to switch to a different snapshot mechanism in a future version that may work better on dynamic pages like this, though we haven't yet tested various options on the NYT. Among other things, the NYT dynamically loads page content as you scroll down, which likely interferes with most snapshot tools. But we'll see what we can do.
  • edited November 2, 2020
    Snapshots are now re-enabled on the NYT. Your Zotero Connector should auto-update within 24 hours, or you can update manually by clicking Update Translators in the Advanced pane of the Zotero Connector preferences.