New default browser not picked up by Zotero

I changed my default browser from Firefox to Chrome - my OS is Linux Mint.
But when I click on a bookmark in Zotero it opens the bookmark in Firefox. I have not found a setting in the Preferences that relates to a browser.
How can I fix this?
  • edited July 16, 2019
    There is no setting — Zotero just launches the URL via the OS. These steps are for PDFs, but you can try some of the same things for your situation.

Obviously, if you haven't restarted Zotero or your computer since changing the default, you'd want to start with that.
  • @dstillermann: thanks for you reply. I have a problem with the URLs, and yes, I have even shurtdown and fired up the computer since changing the deafult browser.

So, when you say "Zotero just launches the URL via the OS" I assume you mean using the default browser as defined by the OS, which is Chrome in my case, but Zotero does not do that.

There must be some other Linux setting Zotero uses.
  • Not a Linux Mint user, but on my Ubuntu, Zotero uses the default browser.
  • @poettli: on my Mint Zotero used to do that too, until I changed the default browser. So, somehow Zotero does not follow the change.
  • default apps are weird on linux -- there are multiple places they get set. Did you check out the troubleshooting steps for linux that dstillman links to?
  • @adamsmith No I did not because he clearly stated that those concern PDFs, and my issue is with the browser, i.e. URLs.
    Nevertheless, I took a look and maybe in the suggested file
    ~/.local/share/applications/defaults.list

the following line would need to be adjusted, though I would need help on it:
    application/pdf=kde4-okularApplication_pdf.desktop
  • Here's a list of relevant mimetypes:

x-scheme-handler/http=firefox.desktop
    x-scheme-handler/https=firefox.desktop
    x-scheme-handler/ftp=firefox.desktop
    text/html=firefox.desktop
    application/x-extension-htm=firefox.desktop
    application/x-extension-html=firefox.desktop
    application/x-extension-shtml=firefox.desktop
    application/xhtml+xml=firefox.desktop
    application/x-extension-xhtml=firefox.desktop
    application/x-extension-xht=firefox.desktop

replace firefox.desktop with chrome.desktop (or whatever Chrome's desktop file is called).
  • @adamsmith thanks a lot for that, Adam. Could you tell me if this should go into the mimeapps.list file or into the defailts.list file, both of which reside in
    ~/.local/share/applications/defaults.list ?
  • I'm afraid I can't. I'd try both.
  • edited July 16, 2019
    @adamsmith thanks Adam, it is the defaults.list file.
  • In case anyone else had this problem and uses xfce instead of gnome, the file /usr/share/applications/defaults.list exists but changes seem to have no effect, at least on zotero behavior.

It is possible to configure the web browser:
    settings manager --> preferred applications --> Internet tab --> web browser.

This works for links in zotero, and has immediate effect.

The settings file is ~/.config/xfce4/helpers.rc, with options like these:
    WebBrowser=vivaldi
    WebBrowser=firefox
    WebBrowser=chromium